3DCoat Forums

Reconstruction technique tips

arumiat

• Advanced Member

Hi 3DC gurus

I'm wondering if you can give me any tips on this.

I'm trying to reconstruct bone that has been extracted from a CT scan using the voxel sculpting room.

post-38412-0-14544100-1406145758_thumb.p

Of course small holes like this can be filled in using the fill and smooth tool. The smooth tool on this then mesh often ends up recreating the holes after though, even with depth and smoothing set right down (<5%). Any way to stop this happening?

Do any of you have any workflow tips for areas like these..

post-38412-0-78300600-1406145836_thumb.p

post-38412-0-81331200-1406145845_thumb.p

I'm thinking taking into Blender, adding some flat mesh, joining the objects and reimporting and smoothing out in 3DC?

Or are there any extra tools I could use in 3DC?

Thanks in advance,

T

• Reputable Contributor

It looks like you didn't give the layer enough resolution to create all that detail. It's looks like it's way too low. When merging that object in, you can scale it up (I like to keep it no bigger than half of the grid) or increase the Resolution of the layer so 3D Coat applies more voxels to that layer when you hit APPLY or the ENTER key. It may take a few tries to find a good sweet spot (not too much or it can bog your system down). I always toggle wireframe on (W key), and zoom in, to see how dense the model is.

• Advanced Member

You have to think of Voxel mode as being a solid mesh and Surface mode as being a hollow mesh.  Most 3D programs are used to create hollow meshes.  In Voxel mode, the smoother your mesh is, the less voxels (cubes) are used to fill the space.  Therefore, the thinner the mesh, the more likely there won't be enough voxels to hold its fidelity.  However, as Don suggested, if you increase your mesh resolution, the smaller the voxels are and the thinner your model can be without causing issues, like those you're having.  I hope this helps.

Edited by alvordr

• Advanced Member

Hi both

Thanks for those replies, both were very useful.

I'm going to actually work on getting a better obj to start with before even bringing into 3DC, I think I'm asking a bit much of 3DC to start with a mesh looking like that.

Will post back on how goes.

A