3DCoat Forums

polygonal reference mesh in voxel

LypsiK

Hi,

I think it could be very helpful if we can set a reference mesh in voxel.

When I work on environment sometime I have to load a mesh in 3d coat but with my computer

it take a lot of memory if i have to convert my mesh in voxel.

When we import a mesh in voxel tabs we can see a preview of the mesh.

It could be good to have an option to keep the preview without converting th mesh in voxel.

It s faster to display this for low memory computer.

We don t need to edit the reference mesh it s just to create asset on it.

Hope you understand me.

Cya, guillaume

• Advanced Member

Could you maybe try to decimate (make low-poly version) another version of your reference mesh in your poly modeller and import this without subdividing or scaling up on the voxel import process?

Hi Ghostdog,

I find this missing badly too - practically always if one wants to make some Geometry-Additions to finished objects.

Getting the option to load these objects to the Voxel-room and to display those in different styles (shaded/transparent/textured)

would be crucial for my work with 3D-references. Very helpful was also if the references could get used as operands for boolean operations too.

In fact the numer of poly is not a problem.

The problem come when i have to convert my reference mesh to voxel because that s take a lot of memory.

I want to import my reference mesh as polygone and then scult voxel stuff on other layer.

The reference mesh is just used to scult my voxel object (for exemple a tree or a small mountain ) with a good scale and shape.

My vote as well

it would be Very helpful if the Voxel would " Snap " to the Ref. Polygon if we want to trace with the " Sphere Brush " parts that we want... this could be very useful

for ex: if you have a character in polygon and you want to start a new one and you just need to " Trace " the proportions much like tracing paper in 3d

• Advanced Member

My vote as well

it would be Very helpful if the Voxel would " Snap " to the Ref. Polygon if we want to trace with the " Sphere Brush " parts that we want... this could be very useful

for ex: if you have a character in polygon and you want to start a new one and you just need to " Trace " the proportions much like tracing paper in 3d

Yes, actually it would be extremely useful if we could use the copy / clone brush on a mesh, instead of only for voxel layers... that way you would not have to convert the entire polymesh to voxels. In fact, it would be pretty useful indeed if you could load some entire polygon assembly (multiple parts, with their own layers) or reference any/all objects from the retopo and paint rooms while sculpting in voxels...

how could this work? perhaps the idea of voxels being surfaces / or voxels could be as followes.

perhaps there is simply a way to add the function to copy/clone from surface.

Then add the ability to reference meshes in the retopo and/or sculpt rooms within the voxel room.

to me this sounds not a simple change - although andrew is amazing, but still this is probably a lot of work, that could potentially add more bugs?

this sounds like a great idea - and should be included in the future (IMO)

however, is there any workflow that could help in the mean time? perhaps something andrew COULD do in the short term is allow to have a clipping cube on import - let me explain:

upon import, you are worried about memory required for large reference mesh. well what if you could import a focused area... that could help. ESPECIALLY if you could repeat the import, and choose a new region but have this new object still in the same spacial relationship to the original... that could work, I think, and not have to completely rework the logic in the program.

so a clipping box with min/max x, y, and z.

this could be useful in a lot of other ways. for example, if you could snap the + or - of X, Y, or Z to the 0, this would allow you to import only half a mesh/model, and then mirror it later.

also if the idea of a clipping cube were added, this could be another tool as well. which would allow easy clipping of FREAKED OUT voxels (which I've had, where 1 voxel somehow ends up 30,000 voxels long, which totally hoses up the voxel object. ;0.

anyway... I think this could help?? anyone else like the idea of a clipping cube?

• Advanced Member

Not bad and easy to implement idea. Possibly I can add check box in voxels "Show paint/ref mesh in scene"

Oh wow, I was just thinking about this (all day actually) and this could be HUGE! in so many ways.

If you integrate the layers in the voxel room, and add the functionality of freeze/unfrozen, reference/no-reference, along with the current visibility, and then make any visible, referencable layer useable for voxel painting reference, that would be AWESOME! seriously.

The reference / no-reference toggle, is REALLY important, so that you can SEE references, but you can paint through them.

These additions would just skyrocket the flexibility and utility of voxel sculpting!! :) yeah! :drinks::drinks::drinks:

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...