3DCoat Forums

ZBrush R6 AppLink -32 bit version only-

Denis S

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

Any news with this plugin ? Like other mentionned, right I can bring something from ZBrush in 3DC but I can't from 3DC to ZBrush. Also, I've got sometimes an error saying : error: DLL::ExcBegin() failed!

I would love to use this plugin but right now I can't.

Thanks

• Advanced Member

These two apps are a powerful combination. Many possible combinations actually. I'm wondering, how complicated an applink should look like. I'm pretty sure that doing this manually is easier.

Having a multi res mesh at ~12M and you want to retopo it. I guess you choose to export a lower res mesh. Merge it to voxels (autopo)?, as reference for manual retopo? The base mesh for Uvs and painting?

What about the opposite? To ZBrush? Choose the 'star' before importing. Append. You may use UV master to copy UVs. You may import displ_map in alphas panel and displ palette after. I can't remember how many workflows are possible. Like dense quads, tri meshes exporting, better baking of maps, projections.... Remember sculptris with GoZ plugin. Three apps then. LOL :drinks:

Same here !

Both program have their strentgh and weakness ... So a link between the two apps would be awesome to use the best of both of them.

I love so much the polish brushes in ZBrush for hard surfaces with curves, but the boolean merging tool in 3DCoat are no match !

• 1 month later...

I was just curious if there has been any developement with the zbrush applink, or if you guys are using a seperate process for moving sculpts/meshes between 3d coat and zbrush. I just bought 4R2, and I have to admit, learning the UI and the generic .obj importing has been kicking my butt. (Apparently there's no freaking manual provided with the program, just a "getting started" guide) Makes me appreciate 3dCoat a LOT more :)

• Advanced Member
I was just curious if there has been any developement with the zbrush applink, or if you guys are using a seperate process for moving sculpts/meshes between 3d coat and zbrush. I just bought 4R2, and I have to admit, learning the UI and the generic .obj importing has been kicking my butt. (

I have just asked for an adaption of the Zbrush Applink for R2 - the Developer should already know that the Zbrush 4 does not work any more.

Apparently there's no freaking manual provided with the program, just a "getting started" guide) Makes me appreciate 3dCoat a LOT more smile.gif

Have a closer look in your Installation Folder!

Zbrush is amazingly well documented through many hundred pages of Help-Files (the 4.0 and 3.5 files still apply!), extensive pdf-tutorials and ZClassroom-Videos.

Thanks for the tip on checking the installation folder, I found the manuals! I admit i was expecting them to be in the zip file for zbrush, and got frustrated. I've been going through the zclassroom vids. Dynamesh is neat, but it definitely doesn't compare to 3dcoats voxels :)

• 1 month later...

I am having an issue with getting the edited object (a voxel in this case) back into zbrush...so, when I hit 'edit in 3d coat' from zbrush it will send the model over, but, when I hit exportvoxelobject back to app, nothing happens,...no message...and, when I look for the file, I do find it, but need to manually import the edited mesh from 3d coat...if you have any suggestions on how to fix this problem, I'd appreciate it,

thanks,

-Josh

• Reputable Contributor

I am having an issue with getting the edited object (a voxel in this case) back into zbrush...so, when I hit 'edit in 3d coat' from zbrush it will send the model over, but, when I hit exportvoxelobject back to app, nothing happens,...no message...and, when I look for the file, I do find it, but need to manually import the edited mesh from 3d coat...if you have any suggestions on how to fix this problem, I'd appreciate it,

thanks,

-Josh

If you are using the R2 Update, that might explain why. It has been mentioned in this thread, that the applink doesn't yet work with the new ZB update. It works correctly with ZB 4, but I'm not sure what the hold up is, getting support for R2. Maybe the plugin dev. can chime in here.

• Contributor

thanks,

-Josh

updated to 05 but have this same problem getting mesh back to Zbrush.

• Advanced Member

i am having problem to bring the voxel back to zbrush. i am using zb4r2 and latest 3dc. created a mesh in zbrush. used applink to bring it to 3dc as voxel. Edit the mesh in 3dc then use BringVoxelBacktoApp menu to bring the mesh back to zbrush. Went back to zbrush and nothing happened. is that the right way to do ? am i missing anything? please help.

just want to bring mesh back and forth between zbrush and 3dc in voxel mode.

ps. just updated to 5 version and still having same problem. do i need to installed the previous version before install the new one?

• Reputable Contributor

What also seems not yet possible with this Applink is to start a collaborative session inside 3DC. So that one can first send

stuff from 3DCoat and fetch it back.

There are only a few Applinks that allow you to start in 3D Coat first. Hopefully that will change. It was 3ds Max, Blender for sure and I believe C4D and Modo would as well. The gentleman working on the Maya Applink said he would look into doing the same thing for it.

I had some troubles initially with the ZBrush applink, but it started working correctly all of a sudden and I can't remember what caused it to make it behave.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I tried to install this AppLink but I don't see any evidence of it in either zb or 3DC. I pointed it at the zb install folder and hit install, then restarted both apps. It seems pretty straight forward.

That happened to me as well, since i have several different versions of zbrush i just extracted to C:\zapplink\ and copied the files to zbrushXX\ZStartup\ZPlugs and it worked like a charm

I see the problem. The installer put a new folder structer inside the zb fiolder so I have

C:\Program Files (x86)\Pixologic\ZBrush 4R2\ZBrush 4.0\ZStartup\ZPlugs

See there's an extra folder in there called "zbrush 4.0". The correct location is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Pixologic\ZBrush 4R2\ZStartup\ZPlugs

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

To the Applink-Developer,

could you maybe have a look at this Clip here?

It shows the inofficial Zbrush Link to Blender. One can see that this Plugin can harvest Polygroup-Information as well as Masking Information from Zbrush

so that they appear and can get modified/get set back with Blender.

Could you please look into hooking this up too? I believe Masking alone could be tremendously helpful for anybody who has both programs and still misses

proper Ambient Occlusion in 3DC. Then one could send a model over, quickly do the required Masking-Operations and hop back to 3DC for further editing.

• Advanced Member

I see the problem. The installer put a new folder structer inside the zb fiolder so I have

C:\Program Files (x86)\Pixologic\ZBrush 4R2\ZBrush 4.0\ZStartup\ZPlugs

See there's an extra folder in there called "zbrush 4.0". The correct location is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Pixologic\ZBrush 4R2\ZStartup\ZPlugs

Fixing this Path problem would be helpful too.

• 1 month later...

Well, it's nice to get my model into 3Dcoat quickly but I'll be taking the traditional route for getting the painted image back into Zbrush, It doesn't work (I get an error) and I wouldn't want to sculpt in 3DC anyway if I'm sculpting in Zbrush so bringing the model back into ZB is kinda useless in my case. Should be an option to just send back the image like I was sending the image into photoshop.

Also, when I send my poly paint into 3DC it comes in upside down.

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

3dcot supports vertex painting now. I wonder if it can communicate with zbrush somehow.

For instance, I can export zbrush vertex painting in blender/cycles via ZB 3d print exporter plugin as VRML.

Just wondering. Anyway, not much interest on this.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

last week I downloaded the ZBrush/3DCoat applink (August 2012).

After installing yesterday I could bring an object from ZBrush to 3DCoat, but not back to ZBrush again.

I changed the install folder that the applink still uses, and pointed to the right path (more like installing into a new folder outside of the ZBrush path, and then copy&paste to the right place, would be nice to finallyget this fixed).

Inside ZBrush I get every message and menu that should be there.

Inside 3DCoat I can work without any limitations.

When I try to go back to ZBrush (taking the object with me) --- nothing useful happens.

If I ALT/TAB back into ZBrush, there still sits the object in all its (unaltered) glory.

So - what I miss (besides the initial function of applink) is a remark for what version of ZBrush the actual version of applink really is.

Something like "... works only for ZBrush version XYZ" would be more then welcome.

The state of applink for ZBrush 4R4 is, sorry to say, absolutely useless.

I don't know if the applink developement is more of a volounteer business, but it really would be nice if somebody could either do some work on it - or simply call it done.

Thanx for reading ...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm wondering if there is a fix for the Zbrush Applink. The installer is broken, but that's easily enough to work around moving the files into the correct location. When editing the model in zbrush, it correctly sends the model into 3dcoat for painting, and sends it back once. It seems that the texture information is not being saved/transferred on the second pass. Was also getting an error, but realized it was because the default file format 3dcoat was trying to pass back to zbrush was not compatible.

• Carlosan changed the title to ZBrush R6 AppLink -32 bit version only-