3DCoat Forums

Is there any realistic PBR skin shader for 3D-COAT?

Silicon Power

• Contributor

It is not in development right now because current goal is 4.5 in very near time.

But after 4.5 sss & skin is one of t-do.

Damn :(

I quietly hoped that PBR SSS approximation would arrive before the final 4.5 release.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I would highly suggest everyone wanting this to send Andrew an e-mail requesting it. Oftentimes the easiest/quickest requests to accommodate are the ones that get done, rather than the ones with the greatest impact. A CUDA recompile is one such example. 3D Coat hasn't been recompiled for the newer versions of CUDA, and thus doesn't utilize the newer CUDA tech, that requires a recompile to take advantage of them. It could also be used in the Pose Tool, to make it perform much better. But that's not an easy task, so Andrew has never given it any real consideration.

SSS won't be easy either, so it's going to take some community effort to compel Andrew to give it a high priority.

• Like 1

Apples and oranges. SSS is not the same as reworking the entire program for CUDA. CUDA wont work with everything, and in some cases, make some processes slower. Some things are great with GPUs, others are best suited for CPUs.

Back on topic, if there is a Mantis/Trello post for SSS link in this thread, I'm sure folks would give it a +1.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Apples and oranges. SSS is not the same as reworking the entire program for CUDA. CUDA wont work with everything, and in some cases, make some processes slower. Some things are great with GPUs, others are best suited for CPUs.

Back on topic, if there is a Mantis/Trello post for SSS link in this thread, I'm sure folks would give it a +1.

It is on topic, as I used CUDA as an example of many people adding their support to the request, on Mantis, but it doesn't mean Andrew is willing to do it (even though at one point he said he would). SSS likewise is much requested, but is also a big task, Andrew said. So, I'm on point in saying that the community here will need to keep asking for SSS.

And for what it is worth, I know a thing or two about computers Javis....your attempts to correct and lecture me on it is getting old. I never said it should work with everything, just recompile the current CUDA code so that many of the features in the newer versions of CUDA could be utilized. It's just like plugins often have to be recompiled to work with newer versions of their host 3D applications. In addition to that, I just asked that it be expanded to the Pose tool, as well.

SSS will take a good piece of work, and that is the reason I mentioned the need to keep asking....it is a lot like many other long-time (and well supported) requests, that never got touched.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Sadly yes, still nothing.

Right now 3DC is in a code cleanup phase so most new feature development is on hold for a few months. Improvements in the meantime will primarily focus on bug fixes and usability tweaks.

The hope is that once it's complete this phase of development will make it easier and faster to implement new features and fixes.

• Like 1