3DCoat Forums

Javis' Sketchbook

Javis

Hi all,

Taking a break from shoes and mechanical retopo bits for some personal work. Here's the first one I'm working on. It's Walternate from Fringe, played by John Noble (Walter + Alternate = Walternate, for those that haven't seen Fringe). I'm still working on it. I've got the hair blocked out, I'm going to do a sculpted version of the hair and a fiber version  later on, in modo. I feel close with general shapes, proportions etc. of the face and head.

post-1232-0-88415900-1421278338_thumb.jp

post-1232-0-05771000-1421278346_thumb.jp

post-1232-0-98872400-1421278350_thumb.jp

Crits or thoughts are appreciated. :)

Today I just started adding some of the wrinkles and such, any tips on better wrinkles would be cool. Especially around the neck area.

• Like 3

Oh! This is the guy who burns on the top of a pile of wood!

Nice start on your sculpt. I think that his chin could be a little more

wide may be. No other crit for the moment. Cool to see your work here!

Oh yes, he also played Denothor, the last Ruling Steward in LOTR. :)

I'll widen that chin a bit! Thanks!

Yes, nice to see some of your WIPs... :moil:

A day late and a dollar short, but I'm here now.  :ph34r:

• Contributor

How did you get your reference images? And how did you use them? I noticed when using the 3DC plane, that I was painting on the image rather than sculpting on the object. I use Reference Image 1.5 as it does not interfere with sculpting.

Hey Tony!

I was using my own programmed solution for quite a while, but was having some trouble solving a feature that stopped me from progressing further. Since then I've been using PureRef (Link: http://www.pureref.com/about.php ). For image planes in 3DC, you can tweak the image or sculpt/paint through. There is an option for it somewhere. I can't recall off the top of my head where though.

I got the images off the web. :)

I found when using the 3DC reference image that I was unable to clear the image but only the frame. How does one delete the image from the workspace?

Hi Tony.

That's a good question. I think if you clear the image, and then hide the panel it will get rid of the ref image item. But I don't know if it will remove entirely from your workspace/scene, or if it stays in memory. As far as having the images there, they are gone. That much I can say.

Worked on the shape of the head a bit more, made it more asymmetrical, akin to the real person. Widened the jaw and chin a little. Tweaked the nose, ears, sculpted the double turkey-neck he has. Did a detail work on the skin too. Oh the eyes, sculpted the bags under his eyes, and indented the upper eyelid a little more.

post-1232-0-59052000-1421450098_thumb.jp

post-1232-0-63198100-1421450114_thumb.jp

Also blocked out the torso.

post-1232-0-84249800-1421450113_thumb.jp

• Like 4

• Contributor

Hi Tony.

As far as having the images there, they are gone. That much I can say.

Unfortunately, nothing I could do would rid the workspace of the image. If I open the file, the image is there waiting.  There doesn't appear to be a menu selection that does this.

Unfortunately, nothing I could do would rid the workspace of the image. If I open the file, the image is there waiting.  There doesn't appear to be a menu selection that does this.

Ahh, that's not good. Have you tried with 4.5 beta 5 or 6? It seemed to work alright in beta 5 for me when I tested it out earlier today. If not a little wonky. If it still persists I'd file a mantis report on that bug! 

Last update for the night.

Tweaked the lips a bit more to soften them (they were harsh around the corners). Flushed out the proportions of the torso and did some muscle groups. blocked out the arms. And lastly combined the head, torso and arms together into one sculpt when I was mostly happy with them.

post-1232-0-34238400-1421487204_thumb.jp

post-1232-0-34411600-1421487205_thumb.jp

• Like 3

• Reputable Contributor

He is progressing well. His he going to be a in-shape man or slightly out of shape as the extra fat around the middle section suggest. He to me at the moment is a cross between the two now with the beginnings of his well pronounce lean muscle structure else where... Maybe sag the pectoral muscles a little...

Thanks guys. :)

Cool sculpt Jarvis, coming along nicely. Quick question sorry, do you normally block in the volumes with voxels then detail in surface mode?

Much obliged Craig! No worries, questions are always welcome. :) For the bulk of it, I blocked in the basic shapes with voxels without increasing resolution. Then I did the rest of the blocking in Surface mode. I really prefer surface mode for the most of the sculpting. That said, if something requires it, I also bounce back to Voxel mode, like holes and such so I can repair them (doesn't happen often these days, luckily.).

But yeah, basically what you said, basic shape in voxels, then detail with surface mode.

Your work is very nice btw! Welcome to the forums, and sorry everyone for the slow reply. Busy busy.

He is progressing well. His he going to be a in-shape man or slightly out of shape as the extra fat around the middle section suggest. He to me at the moment is a cross between the two now with the beginnings of his well pronounce lean muscle structure else where... Maybe sag the pectoral muscles a little...

Hey man!

Yeah, he's got somewhat muscular shoulders, then a bit of flab in the chest and arms. I based it off some photos/screens of him from Fringe, on one of the episodes where he does his "Naked Tuesdays". Careful googling that. :p Make sure you include "Fringe" in your search. Lots of, uh, other things come up.

Great job, Javis.

The face resembles DD Eisenhower's. Or maybe I'm imagining things. :)

A little bit, don't they. They do share some similar features.

I also had a chance today to do some sculpting on my WIP. Here's a quick update.

I moved the shoulder back, but it's barely noticeable in the screenshots. I mostly worked on the hair. I made a base layer, then sculpted it, probably too much. Blocked in the forms of the hair in Surface mode. Then proceeded with the muscles tool for some extra detailing.

post-1232-0-18752300-1422064618_thumb.jp

post-1232-0-85857000-1422064618_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Any plans to use those 'hair' alphas?

Maybe? I'm not entirely sure to be honest. I'm thinking about using Modo's fur fibers for the rendered version. The hair sculpting was more of a bit of practice. I'm always open to ideas though. So maybe I will. :)

Good progress on your sculpt Javis!

From the side view, I'm under the impression that the rear

part of the jaw is a little too high.

The front view looks really good.

Do you plan to go further on this work?

Thanks! You are probably right, there is something bugging me about the face that isn't quite exactly right, and that is probably it. I'll give it a tweak later today when I get some time.

As far as sculpting details, I'm thinking about doing the hands, a shirt, tie and jacket. Then retopologize it, texture it, render it in Modo. But I'm not sure I'll sculpt anything below the waist, and if I do, I'll probably just model the trousers and shoes. But I might change my mind. Sometimes I go crazy while working if I'm on a roll and just keep going.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response Javis, blocking with voxels and detailing in surface mode seems to be the way to go (for me anyway). The likeness is starting to show in the last pics you posted, the ears look a bit flat, i would maybe pull them out a wee bit so they don't look pinned to the head. Looking good though.

• 1 month later...

Here's a delayed update. I did a few tweaks since this shot. I've lowered and moved the jaw out a bit. Spaced the eyes ever so slightly. Also pulled the ears out (thanks Craig!) so they are not so flat.

I've also textured him since those updates. Put some hair on him, and sculpted the clothing, which I'll be retopologizing next. For the hair style, I'm doing the combed-back Fringe, as his character "Walternate".

Here's the last sculpting update that I'll do, and is from about 4 weeks ago (the rest of the tweaks will be done in Modo with anything mesh related).

post-1232-0-15084000-1427241434_thumb.jp

Here's the latest update, from today, with the hair, and all the tweaks mentioned above.

post-1232-0-82015300-1427242107_thumb.jp

EDIT: I wont be doing much texturing below the neck, all that stuff will be under clothing.

• Like 4

• Advanced Member

Gosh! How did you made the hair?

That looks quite real on the top of the forehead.

Still at the voxel phase, or is this already some hair made with

alpha textures on planes?

I've avoid the hair problem for a long time

by choosing bald guys or characters with helmets... :)

If you have magic recipe for hair, please let me know!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey man!

I made the hair in Modo using hair/fur and tweaking it until I got close to the persons hair. I used the styling/combing tools to make it look close to his hair style as much as possible. No polys/planes/etc. used. :)

Do you use Modo? I would be happy to show you on skype or something similar how I did it. Just let me know!