3DCoat Forums

ohsnapitsjoel's Sketchbook

ohsnapitsjoel

• 2 weeks later...

I'm shaking things up. I decided to go for a more anthropomorphic character style, with fur and SSS and everything, when it's time to model and render him.  Since I was already going that direction anyway, I thought I'd make him a sort of gorilla-man.

galoot_face2.png

Edited by ohsnapitsjoel
  • Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

I should clarify, the head wasn't sculpted in 3D-Coat, but in Blender with dyntopo.  I'm bringing it together in 3D-Coat because I might retopologize it there.

Aw, shucks.That kind of ruins it for me. :D  Seriously though...would be easy enough to do the whole thing in 3D Coat. I think it's cool to showcase work done in other galleries, like CGHub and such...where you have a mixed pipeline, but it always kills the appeal (for me, anyway) when someone showcases their work here, on 3d Coat's forum, where much of the work was done elsewhere. It says "I didn't find 3D Coat adequate enough to do this part."

Still, nice work though. :good:

Aw, shucks.That kind of ruins it for me. :D  Seriously though...would be easy enough to do the whole thing in 3D Coat. I think it's cool to showcase work done in other galleries, like CGHub and such...where you have a mixed pipeline, but it always kills the appeal (for me, anyway) when someone showcases their work here, on 3d Coat's forum, where much of the work was done elsewhere. It says "I didn't find 3D Coat adequate enough to do this part."

Still, nice work though. :good:

Yeaaahhh, you're right, my bad :)  I must admit though, I have a harder time with 3DC's brushes with organic surfaces, I can't really describe why.  I find Blender's brushes more predictable in that regard.  

I'll definitely be texturing in 3DC, though, since it's by far the most fun and intuitive app I have for texture painting :)

• Reputable Contributor

Yeaaahhh, you're right, my bad :)  I must admit though, I have a harder time with 3DC's brushes with organic surfaces, I can't really describe why.  I find Blender's brushes more predictable in that regard.  

I'll definitely be texturing in 3DC, though, since it's by far the most fun and intuitive app I have for texture painting :)

After V4.0.06 or so, the Surface mode brushes have become pretty sweet...thanks to Artman helping Andrew nail down the brush behavior, and some of the settings. Plus Artman's presets are really nice to work with. Pretty cool head sculpt, for just 30mins of doodling.

Edited by AbnRanger

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice, nice pices

what was the surface count on this final one?

Thank you!  I apologize for the delay in replying, I didn't get a notification about your post :)  Uh, it was pretty heavy, I don't remember the exact tri count.  It was somewhere in the range of 39 - 40M tris.  

These things have been dinged around so much that even old scratches have been repainted! Good job!

Thanks!  I'm using an old Vietnam War-era (I think...?) bayonet I have as a reference for how that old army paint reacts to dings and scratches.  Sometimes it's a little counter-intuitive, so it's keeping me on my toes!  

Some more texturing.  Unfortunately, due to my educational license limitations of 2k texture sizes, I had to do some of this in Blender to get 4k textures, and then quite a bit of editing in GIMP.  And WOW, I do NOT enjoy that workflow.  I would so much rather do all of this in 3DC.  I need to upgrade my license :)

139554832707.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

The Guerila render looks cool, gtz !

http://www.guerillarender.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=631

galoot_guerilla.png

Thank you!  I apologize for never replying to this, I don't get any notifications about posts to this thread, for some reason.

Here was the final render:

Galoot_composited.png

Edited by ohsnapitsjoel
  • Like 2