3DCoat Forums

Gbball's sketchbook

gbball

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciate the video! Really showed a good variety of features in the software. Coming from many years of heavy Zbrush usage I'm literally floored with 3D Coat V4. Purchasing today.

Also Donald Anderson... is that the same Donald that worked at Bedlam? If so yeah we worked together for a bit.

Cheers!

• Advanced Member

Thanks a lot guys.  Glad to hear that it was helpful...more importantly helping to get the word out about this cool app!

@ TimmyZ  -  That's amazing that someone else had the same experience!  I'm amazed at how much better it is now in just 3 years than it was then.  Imagine another 3 years!

@Garagape - Thanks man!  Glad to hear it was helpful!

@lildragon - Yeah, definitely the one and the same Donald.  I was checking out your website, you've got some nice stuff!  I also noticed we've worked a lot of the same places just at different times.  But I was at Red Rover for a few different contracts and recently Nelvana.  A few of my friends are at Ubi.  We'll probably bump into each other at some point!

@Tony Nemo  - Thanks man, I thought that some of the stuff I was doing would be helpful.  Glad to hear it's been beneficial to 3D Coat vets like you and Garagape.

• Advanced Member

New sculpt of Wolverine.

Wolvie1.pngWolvie2.png

Wolvie3.png

I didn't intend to do this when I started, I was just messing around and was going to make a boxer, but then something inspired me to make it into Wolverine instead.

I hope you like it!

-G

Edited by gbball
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

I did a paintup of an old sculpt that I was working on for one of the forum competitions.  I've messed around with pbr before, but it was fun to do something a little more realized.

It's just a 1.5 million poly sculpt so the vertex painting doesn't hold under scrutiny, but it was nice see that you can still make something decent looking.  

Monster.jpg

Take care everyone,

G

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Hey everyone,

I've recently had the good fortune of getting a character based project that I can do 100% in 3D Coat.  It's for a television show pitch called Ajax and Kochise, which is being created by some colleagues of mine.

Anyways, I thought I'd share some of my progress here since I will actually be finishing this character and possibly more from start to finish which should be a lot of fun.

This is the concept and I'll be doing at least one character, possibly more.  I did the designs and in photoshop from some drawings I did in my sketchbook.  Now I'm using 3D Coat to realize them for animation purposes.  I didn't go too tight on the designs since I knew they'd end up in 3d.

Ajax-and-Kochise-adults-med.jpg1.png2.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

retopo%2Bbody.jpg

retopo%2Bhead.jpg

Some more progress.  I did the retopo in 3d coat and cleaned it up in Blender.  I'm sending it off to rigging now.  I followed the topology of hippydrome.com but I was wondering if anyone has any thought on retaining small details when doing retopo for animation.  Is it alright to include that stuff like the wrinkles in the crotch of his pants.and in his armpits.  I found that if I were to add them it would have drastically changed the edgeloops and I was concerned that it might interfere with deformation during animation.  Any thoughts?  Apply afterwards via displacement map?

Thanks!

-Gavin

• Like 4

• Contributor

'Wrinkle' geometry can complicate weighting, especially in the arm pit as this has more range of motion than the leg. I use multiple Normal maps to convey changes in local areas (as from relaxed to extreme). I render with Octane in C4D and I will experiment with it's displacement abilities. In a cartoon character, simplicity rules anyway. Good character!

• Advanced Member

depending on where you are animating, in most packages you can use a cage to animate a character. So rig the cage, and have it affect a more detailed model.

• Advanced Member

Thanks Tony and Aleksey great suggestions.  Good to know that there are at least a few good options.  Does anyone know what they do at Pixar/Disney/Illumination etc?

Also, here is another sculpt I did last night.  Just a one off.  Rendered in Blender.

Cheers,

Gstruggle%2Brender%2B2.png

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Just finished Kochise off the other day.  Here is the final sculpt and timelapse video for anyone who's interested.  My process was unnecessarily convoluted.  But that's learning right!

Kochise-and-Ajax.jpgKochise-and-Ajax2.jpg

• Like 5

• Advanced Member

Hey Ballistic!

Thanks for watching the video.  VoxLayer is great.  I also like grow in Voxel mode, especially on low polycounts...(up to 250k) And also smooth all on lower polycounts in voxel mode.  Crease clay and Inflate clay are also really good brushes in surface mode.

To answer you question, this will be going into Maya for retopo and rigging.  Done by someone else.  I normally use Blender though.

Edited by gbball