3DCoat Forums

Retopo tutorial

Yes good tuto

thank you very much andrew

if you could do one (i know your time is precious) for uv-set manager it will be great too (for me though)

cause i feel very confused with managing multi uv-set on a human for ex (uv for head, one for body etc...)

so if you please then thanks a lot

• Advanced Member

Thanks Andrew!

But I find it hard to follow, cause there are not enough break points or pauses (where you have to click the green arrow). Often a yellow textbox appears and before I can read it it disappears. You also can't pause the player to read it.

Can you add more pauses?

Thanks,

mike

• Advanced Member

Andrew,

Thanks for sharing that! (think my two favorite tools are 'add points and faces' and 'draw

strokes' (makes re-topo on arms and legs a breeze!). :)

StereoMike,

Just use the play/pause button instead of clicking the arrow, and you can control where

you want to stop (to read). You can also 'scrub' through as you would with a quicktime

video as well.

On the wold tutorial , when you showing how ot use the draw stroke tool on the arm where it makes the mesh wrapped around the arm..when I duplicate the demo, i just get a strip of mesh and not the whole "bracelet".

Am i doing something wrong?

Please show screenshot of what you getting.

Are you painting only one line across slices and press enter?

Is there any way to position an imported 'external mesh' as a whole for a better fit when retopolising?

I was experimenting with this feature by trying to retopolise the 3DC standard head (man2.obj) with a mesh of a male head that I have, the imported mesh was never centred on reference mesh, only a couple of polys where attached to the reference.

(edit: added attachment)

post-731-1219903483_thumb.jpg

Is there any way to position an imported 'external mesh' as a whole for a better fit when retopolising?

I was experimenting with this feature by trying to retopolise the 3DC standard head (man2.obj) with a mesh of a male head that I have, the imported mesh was never centred on reference mesh, only a couple of polys where attached to the reference.

(edit: added attachment)

No, there is no such possibility... Not sure that it is easy, but I will think how to do this.

• 5 months later...

Hello total newbie user here following the excellent tutorial for retopo. I can't seem to figure out when I use the split poly tool how to disengage it. Meaning when I'm done with the operation I hit enter but I'm still in the mode. How to I "finish"? For now I just choose another tool but I can see that creates problems when I go back to split polygon again. I prefer the ring split tool but that's not always the answer.

Love 3DC can't wait to finish the tech burn-in so I can start creating amazing art with it.

Found my own answer, the esc key seems to work just fine.

LOVE the draw strokes tool and tweak with brush softening tools. I build a lot of complex branching trees and these tools are wonderful.

on to more learning...