3DCoat Forums

30 Day trail starts now !

Howdy hope all is well ?

Just about download the 30 day trail " nice product / page / price " .

So I have set myself some Goals.

1 : Learn it within 30 days

2: Create an organic model / texture .

3 : Use within another app . LW or Max

quickfire questions if i may ?

has the trial version have any restrections ,ie poly count .

where do I start LOL

peace

BRB in 30 days .

going to make a 30 day short documentry on the workflow of 3D coat " if you dont mind " . you know kinda video diary using hypercam and audio capture software .

Right from the proccess of installing to first incounter with the GUI and so forth . .

Reason im doing this is to see if it would benifical to myself / company to use the product .

hope you dont mind , I'll try and follow your code of ethic the best way I know how .

Peace .

EDIT i will not post my results anywhere . untill QA with admin / creator .

• Advanced Member

Nice to see another fellow Scot on these forums.

Will this video be purely for your company's eyes or something you'll share with the rest of the world? Your experiences may benefit the development of the app as well as beginners; pleasant surprises, pitfalls, revelations etc.

*edit* Also.. feel free to ask any questions here. It's one of the most helpful forums I've experienced and doesn't suffer yet from many random 'Wooot!' clutter posts

No i will keep it under-raps for now , mainly for my eye's only , if i take time over which i would call a small personal project , i will post ,but only after it has been QA by certian key members ,the last thing I want to do is step on anybody's toes .

By default im a ZB & LW user , but theres certian companies in Scotland that i want to work with / for ,which atm are taking an interest in 3D Coat ,mainly due to its great price / workflow .

So i will create a video record of it how it works / feels and what i can achive within 30 days "ps still not installed demo " to busy cutting my front grass otherwise my wife will be very angry with me " got to take advantage of this sunshine in Scotland " LOL

I'll try and keep the application / video diary in par with the product and display a proffesional attuatiude towards it .

yI will probably start tonight .

Ps lovin the forum , well constructed ! also i would personaly like to thank a certian NT member on here for there hard work and product insight ."you know who you are "

Peace .

• Reputable Contributor
No i will keep it under-raps for now , mainly for my eye's only...
You have to share now...you've let the cat out of the bag.

I'd like to ask Andrew, when he comes back from vacation, if he can try to create a live link...similar to GoZ, but much better than that, maintain a REAL live link, as Combustion does with 3ds Max. Starting with Lightwave (since he already has some dandy connections specific to LW) and 3ds Max (has the largest userbase, so a good place to start). This link updates live...so, if diffuse, specular, displacement, normal, SSS and dirt maps could be updated with each stroke, you could see the full rendered result in the host application REALTIME. It doesn't get any better than that.

As for Voxels or polygonal sculpts, something like GoZ...where you click a button in 3DC to update the geometry in the host application, would be fine instead of live scultping updates. But having live material updates would just be the bees knees. Something noone has yet done.

I'm going to give it a try with Combustion and finalRender Stage 1 R3 when it's released (should be any time now). It includes an FPrime-esque IPR.

If that works, I'll try to record the results and let everyone here see exactly what I'm talking about.

So i will create a video record of it how it works / feels and what i can achive within 30 days "ps still not installed demo " to busy cutting my front grass otherwise my wife will be very angry with me " got to take advantage of this sunshine in Scotland " LOL

IF that is a current picture there on your sig, with your blushing bride, make sure you leave enough time left over in your month for taking care of your other model :D

ye it was our 1 year wedding anv last week , it was only the image in my pictures folder LoL

honest its not because i love her ,PMSL .

I'll change the avatar , tbh im not the most photogenic person anyway :)

< see

I recommend starting in the voxel tab first. It's a fun thing to mess around with, or create serious work in just a matter of minutes.

Then I'd try retopologizing something.

Then maybe import a mesh and paint with per pixel painting. Fun stuff!

/\ easy as that then , remember noobie .......... Ive been watchin alot of tuts on YT still havent got a clue LOL , I want to give a perspective as if it was a complete novice thats using it , which shouldn't be to hard , and hopefully the software will guide itself .

only thing im concerned about is my harsh Scottish accent I will have to use my telephone manner and pretend im posh LOL

• Reputable Contributor

Lightwave users should take to 3DC's new UI straight away. It seems it's been tailor fitted to them. I've been playing around with docking panels around in the workspace. Although it's tough to beat Mudbox's simplistic appearance, 3DC seems to be the most intuitive...with the text tabs borrowed from LW, and the Photoshop layer pallet. Great job, Andrew, Shadow and everyone who contributed to it :good:

Im hoping it will just flow , but i reckon the transition from ZB to 3D maybe anoying at first , I was searching the forum for keyboard shortcuts , came across a few , is there any i should defo know about .

• Reputable Contributor
Im hoping it will just flow , but i reckon the transition from ZB to 3D maybe anoying at first , I was searching the forum for keyboard shortcuts , came across a few , is there any i should defo know about .
I'm getting around pretty well with just the wacom and standard modifier keys (CTRL, ALT, SHIFT),

Maybe someone can post a set of handy shortcuts.

By the way...I got to toying with the Sphere in the voxel module/room and before you know it, I've already got a decent shape of the head and realized I should've enabled symmetry. Anyone know how to move the symmetry axis for goobs like me that didn't start out that way? Guess I'm going to have to boolean the bad half out and try to mirror it over...still trying to learn it myself.

• Reputable Contributor

Here is a link to a demo of 3ds Max and Combustion, using their live link. Show's how you can use Combustion's paint tools in a similar fashion as BodyPaint 3D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGk_1MpxIFY

Now, if 3DC had a plugin that provides the same sort of link...let's say to Lightwave, you could leave FPrime (with GI and all) open to view the updates in realtime. This would be handy in Sooooo many scenarios. You could paint SSS maps, and watch in realtime how it will appear in your final render (via FPrime window). You could paint landscape materials, displacement/bump/ normal maps, etc. and see how it will look in a daylight environment, with GI and everything.

This is what I hope Andrew can look into next, and I can see this workflow make ZB and MB users "Green" (3DC neon green :brush: ) with envy.

/\ very thankful , for the tips, I'm working today "Head Paintball Marshall " like i do every Sat , when i get back i will start , i think ive read / watched enough tuts , time to play . .

just out of interests do's and dont ,would anybody like to see a certian tool getting used and so on ?

Peace

Have a nice day

I'm away to play 4 the day (",)

• Reputable Contributor
/\ very thankful , for the tips, I'm working today "Head Paintball Marshall " like i do every Sat , when i get back i will start , i think ive read / watched enough tuts , time to play . .

just out of interests do's and dont ,would anybody like to see a certian tool getting used and so on ?

Peace

Have a nice day

I'm away to play 4 the day (",)

Maybe show the workflow bringing in a model from another application (LW?), and then sculpt some detail, then take the normal and displacement maps back into LW. I think a lot of folks would like to see that

only thing im concerned about is my harsh Scottish accent I will have to use my telephone manner and pretend im posh LOL

Or you can go the Gerard Butler route... and go all "300" on it...

"Now I bring out the scraper. I take from the mesh EVERYTHING. I leave it NOTHING!"

Just back my legs are agony and i got hit about 30 times by silly little kids ,great fun and get paid for bossin people about all day "excellent, what else can you ask for ? "

ye no bother /\ ill bring in a model that was one of my first goals anyway ,

looking kinda foward to it .

I gather the same idea works for normal maps , as in ZB , export maps , do i need to flip the image first ?

Ill just use TB normal map pluggin from flay with LW >

PEACE

Sorry to ask , but what capture software did you use for the tuts , im using Hypercam but when i load 3DC the frame rate drops mega , granted i never correctly download or config my pc with drivers fills , but i should be getting faster then 25 fps .

• Reputable Contributor
Sorry to ask , but what capture software did you use for the tuts , im using Hypercam but when i load 3DC the frame rate drops mega , granted i never correctly download or config my pc with drivers fills , but i should be getting faster then 25 fps .
If you're on a PC, then Windows Media Encoder is free:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...PqHywb7sg%3d%3d

...try this video tutorial on how to run it:

wow software "trying not to swear " is amazing , lovely bit of codin .

tried it first time yestarday took to it very , very easily "still crap artist lol " but i found the transition from ZB to 3DC easier than i thought , and i reckon the kinda LW GUI certainly helps ....

a few things a noticed ..should maybe post in other section but ill point out here first incase they would be a double thread .

I love the widgets and excuse technicaly incorrect terms "newbie" the draw tool " circle which you can change the size and depth " nice idea very easy to use , but i keep getting distracted , is there any chance there could be a small numerical number at the side , i know its up the top left and you can define via that way , but i like to jump around and fast and i tend to remember depths due to the fact there right next to my tool ..

just a suggestion .

see example image, you may be able to do this ,and i just dont know ???

I have upload the 3B "i gather thats the format " file of a high poly head for anybody to use :) since it was first model .

right click save as 3B High Poly Head

PEACE

Steph

post-1655-1245089519_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
I love the widgets and excuse technicaly incorrect terms "newbie" the draw tool " circle which you can change the size and depth " nice idea very easy to use , but i keep getting distracted , is there any chance there could be a small numerical number at the side , i know its up the top left and you can define via that way , but i like to jump around and fast and i tend to remember depths due to the fact there right next to my tool ..

Use the 'D' default shortcut, it will pop-up the depth panel under your cursor. 'R' brings up Specular, and 'C' brings up Color and a mini-palette. Spacebar will bring up the whole set of tools for the current room you're in.

Would be nice to be able to pin these though so they don't close, and/or stack them.

-Oliver