3DCoat Forums

From 3D Max to 3D Coat with Turbosmooth

Teriander

Go to solution Solved by AbnRanger,

Question:

I have an object modeled.  Looks ok as an Edit Poly at 5,000 polys.  Putting turbosmooth on level 1 it looks great at 25,000 polys.  Putting turbosmooth on at level 2 it looks even better at 90,000 polys.  

Do I send it over to 3D Coat to unwrap and paint when it's at the base 5,000?  Or with the Turbosmooth level 1?  Or level 2?  In the past when I send it over to 3D Coat to unwrap at a base of like 5,000, then bring it back into 3D max and put Turbosmooth on it, it stretches the textures and becomes difficult to fix.  I just want to know if there's a standard to this and if I should bring it into 3D Coat at its final level of smoothing or at the base level.

Thanks!

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

If you just want to extract the texture maps from 3D Coat after you're done texture painting, it really doesn't matter. What I do, oftentimes, is make a copy of the low poly mesh in Max > with that copy, apply the TurboSmooth modifier > RMB + click on the modifier and choose Collapse All > use the 3ds Max - 3D Coat Applink to send the model to the desired toolset/workspace in 3D Coat > and when you're done texture painting > go to TEXTURES > EXPORT....and export the individual maps (Depth, Color, Spec) or send the whole thing back to Max > FILE > EXPORT TO > 3ds Max.

• Reputable Contributor

If you want to use the advanced sculpting tools (Voxel and Surface mode tools) to do some sculpting or modeling, then applying a subdivision modifier (I collapse it first, everytime to avoid any errors during export) in Max makes sense. You can subdivide in the IMPORT tool panel in 3D Coat, but it's probably better to just do it in Max, instead. Plus, remember, any borders, edges and details you want to preserve during subdivision, you will want to add extra edge loops next to those beforehand.