3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

Is volume in surface mode?

It needs to be in SF mode for vertex painting to work.

Yes, should work surface mode...

And actually it should switch automatically to surface mode, when moving to paint room. But all this does not work anymore here.

Superstrange... it works in no of the recent versions anymore...

I've deleted all information, user folder too... and reinstalled it, but no chance. Tested the DX and GL versions. No vertex painting. What the heck?!

Yes, should work surface mode...

And actually it should switch automatically to surface mode, when moving to paint room. But all this does not work anymore here.

Superstrange... it works in no of the recent versions anymore...

I've deleted all information, user folder too... and reinstalled it, but no chance. Tested the DX and GL versions. No vertex painting. What the heck?!

It should work. Voxels are automatically turned to surface. Check conditions, opacity, try to paint with mouse.

It should work. Voxels are automatically turned to surface. Check conditions, opacity, try to paint with mouse.

The problem: I don't see any model...

I create a sphere in voxels - move to paint room, and see nothing...

What I have to delete to get the default mode? (user folder?)

• Contributor

I am having a recurring problem where 3D-Coat suddenly crashes. After that happens I can no longer open any of my 3D-Coat files.

The only way to fix it is to uninstall and reinstall the software.

I think it started happening ever since 3.7.14(CUDA)(GL64).

The software works fine and then suddenly the crash. I have not noticed any specific event which causes the crash. The only thing I guess is that it may be related to memory being used by other programs running simultaneously in the background. Perhaps a memory leak?

Is anybody else having this problem?

I just upgraded to 3.7.16A(CUDA)(GL64). Hopefully this problem will not continue to persist.

• Contributor

I am having a recurring problem where 3D-Coat suddenly crashes. After that happens I can no longer open any of my 3D-Coat files.

The only way to fix it is to uninstall and reinstall the software.

I think it started happening ever since 3.7.14(CUDA)(GL64).

The software works fine and then suddenly the crash. I have not noticed any specific event which causes the crash. The only thing I guess is that it may be related to memory being used by other programs running simultaneously in the background. Perhaps a memory leak?

Is anybody else having this problem?

I just upgraded to 3.7.16A(CUDA)(GL64). Hopefully this problem will not continue to persist.

Download the no cuda version, problem solved.

Cuda simply block opening some file in unknown condition. I noticed that on all 3.7 beta builds. It's completely random. YOu can try starting 3dcoat, going into voxel room and in the vox menu deactivate cuda, that can help. Same old same old.

• Contributor

Download the no cuda version, problem solved.

Cuda simply block opening some file in unknown condition. I noticed that on all 3.7 beta builds. It's completely random. YOu can try starting 3dcoat, going into voxel room and in the vox menu deactivate cuda, that can help. Same old same old.

Thanks! I will try that.

• Advanced Member

Hi Andrew,

I read on your Twitter about the precision enhancements; "if you are changing something dragging mouse manually you may press SPACE and enter exact numerical value." That sounds excellent!

Any chance of adding a rectangular array?

Thanks for making this wonderful program.

Bill

• Advanced Member

Just read

"Retopo room will grow gradually to fully featured low poly modeler."

Thanks for that :) :) :)

"@BeatKitano Ater weeks of stabilizing I need sometimes to do something new to feel better"

Just want to back you up, Andrew.There are alot people out here, who understand this very well. I also often get in a phase, where doing something new is just as relaxing.

And its awesome, that recharging your batteries gives us some new tools along th way. For me nothing to complain. :)

• Advanced Member

Just read

"Retopo room will grow gradually to fully featured low poly modeler."

Thanks for that :) :) :)

"@BeatKitano Ater weeks of stabilizing I need sometimes to do something new to feel better"

Just want to back you up, Andrew.There are alot people out here, who understand this very well. I also often get in a phase, where doing something new is just as relaxing.

And its awesome, that recharging your batteries gives us some new tools along th way. For me nothing to complain. :)

Adding a lowpoly editor is great news but I do hope Andrew will also add the option of having a four view screen,

doing this will do away with the need of an external editor and make 3DCoat a more complete application.

EDIT: Oh I'd better add IMHO :)

• Advanced Member

Andrew, can you add a "Through all volumes" option for the SurfHide tool? and if possible, allow it to hide any voxel volumes also?

This would be useful for the lasso options with multilayered objects.

For the low poly editor: A subd toggle\preview would be quite handy too.

• Reputable Contributor

Andrew, can you add a "Through all volumes" option for the SurfHide tool? and if possible, allow it to hide any voxel volumes also?

This would be useful for the lasso options with multilayered objects.

For the low poly editor: A subd toggle\preview would be quite handy too.

+1. Add to that a Shell/Thickness Modifier and SHIFT + DRAG (to create new edges/poly's on the fly) with the TRANSFORM tool.

http://www.screencast.com/users/dnashj33/folders/Default/media/6bef16d7-b3da-47f4-b976-d3a63f7762a0

• Contributor

All I can say is I don't have much news since a few weeks but silo is not dead, but it's not called silo anymore and I don't know if it'll be made available to public anytime soon.

In other words: I can't be too specific, but the silo we all loved is NOT dead (and this time it's not in the nevercenter hands which I'm very happy about).

All I can say is I don't have much news since a few weeks but silo is not dead, but it's not called silo anymore and I don't know if it'll be made available to public anytime soon.

In other words: I can't be too specific, but the silo we all loved is NOT dead (and this time it's not in the nevercenter hands which I'm very happy about).

Great to hear. Thanks for the update.

• Advanced Member

Just slap Silo inside of 3dCoat.

1 stone

2 birds.

Haha, funny you say that. I was just on their site the other day thinking precisely the same thing. That would be awesome. I think Andrew will do something pretty cool though with the poly modeler he'll be implementing.

Definitely looking forward to where 3D Coat is going.

• Advanced Member

If he makes the polymodeller as fast as he made painting,retopo,uv, voxel room then its going to be something cool in a couple of months.

i wonder if this is an effect of c4d having basic sculpting now. That package has many users. Add to the fact it has bodypaint. Its the onlu complete package with sculpting and 3dpainting in its toolset.

If he makes the polymodeller as fast as he made painting,retopo,uv, voxel room then its going to be something cool in a couple of months.

i wonder if this is an effect of c4d having basic sculpting now. That package has many users. Add to the fact it has bodypaint. Its the onlu complete package with sculpting and 3dpainting in its toolset.

Plus C4D has a surprisingly nice and fast Advanced Renderer (GI). It seems the scene render for my recent product looks best in C4D. I did the XSI and Max scenes as well (fast Mental Ray setups), but C4D looks best so far. Surprise!

• Reputable Contributor

As I see it Retopo already has almost everything it need for poly modeling, just need a way to select the points and such without having voxels behind it. Maybe some other selection methods like a lasso.

You can use the lasso select tool in the E-Panel and the SELECT tool to do that.

Dont forget C4D is a > u$ 3.500.- app

My point of view (hobbyst here):

Add Polymodeling to retopo is a must.

Python scripting is a must.

Node-based for blend layers workflow is a must

3DC dev more focused in paint room competing vs Mari will be great.