3DCoat Forums

Selecting or Painting Island in Viewport in Paint Room

hikarubr

Hi,

Is there any way of painting a island or selecting it in the 3d viewport in the paint room?

I know we can select the island in the 3d viewport in the UV and retopo room. But it doesn't work in the paint room.

And I know we can paint an island with the fill room in the uv preview windows but not in the 3d viewport (it fills the whole layer).

What should I do?

Create a UV ID map; make a layer where each UV island is filled with its own random color. Then fill with freeze & paint tolerance the piece you want to work on in the viewport and invert. Clear the freeze to work on the next piece.

Thanks for the solution. But that seems a very complicated solution for something that it's so easy to do in the UV and Retopo room. Isn't there a way to select Island in the paint room like in those two?

It just seems weird that the developer would let you select islands in the viewport in the UV and Retopo room but not in the Paint Room.

I agree, it's overly complex for what should be a simple task. There are other methods to do this, but they're actually even more complex.

Unfortunately the Hide/freeze/select tools haven't been updated in a loooong time. All you can do is bug the devs to do something about it and hope they listen, you're certainly not the first person to mention this issue.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

This, too, is pretty crazy for low-poly work.  I'm struggling finding a fast way around this since I have many uv islands... wtf, this is kind of an important feature for a huge majority of us doing game art...

Seems like there'd be a better way now that 3dcoat has had time to mature.

Doesn't seem like such a standard feature like this would be overlooked with such a small dev team -- especially when the framework is already in place in the UV room... D: