3DCoat Forums

Equilivant to the Grab tool from Sculptris

Jax_Cavalera

Go to solution Solved by Javis,

So I decided to give the sculpting tools a shot so that I can fairly compare 3D Coat to my existing workflow to determine if it justifies the cost to purchase and have run into a few problems trying to replicate my previous workflow.

I am wanting to find out how I can achieve the same results I get in Sculptris when I use the Grab tool.  I found a tool in 3D Coat called Move, but it only grabs 1 pixel and drags this.. kind of works more like the Pinch tool from Sculptris.

If anyone knows the name/way to use the right tool to achieve the same result please advise.

EDIT

I also have seen a Pointers counter at the bottom of the 3D Coat program and every time my cursor is over my model, it starts to rapidly count down.

It was at -7000 a little ago and is now all the way to -12000.

As this number decreases.. I am seeing my memory getting chewed up.  this can't be good right?

DOUBLE EDIT

The larger the brush size the faster it decreases, the smaller the brush size the slower it decreases.  I'm not clicking just hovering my cursor over the model with the Move tool selected.

TRIPLE EDIT

Is there a way to change how much detail is added or removed when you are sculpting.  In Sculptris I was able to adjust the tessellation level so that it would either work without adding any new polygons or it would add extreme quantities of them. Using this method I was able to control the polycount in areas where high detail was not required.  I'm just trying to determine how to achieve this same result inside of 3D Coat.

Edited by Jax_Cavalera

To help explain what I mean better I have a short video that contains the Grab tool being used and a few other tools I was not able to find an equal or similar option for inside of 3D Coat.

Video is still being uploaded so it may not show instantly but will show once the upload is complete

I can't edit the above posts so this is why I'm having to make extra posts here :s

I saw a tutorial that is about making some pervebial pirate thing and the first step in their tutorial is using the Move tool like I tried.. EXCEPT in their video it doesn't come to a point but it's a curve so it can move areas of mesh instead of single points in a mesh.  How did they do that I wonder?  I guess it would be neat if the tutorials show how to set your HUD up so it looks the same as theirs or they just used the default layout for the software.

• Advanced Member

Hi jax_cavalera,

It is difficult to determine where the problem is. Usually the Move tool should behave like the Grab tool. Maybe you just have the tool cursor too small. With the tool activated hover over over the model and then drag with the right mouse button. This changes the size of the tool cursor on every tool. Let us know if that was it or maybe post a short video with the problem.

Hi, when I do as you say, it simply makes the brush size larger though the actual tool comes to a point still not a curve as shown in that video.  I am going to try and do a Skype session to see if we can determine the cause and if we get it fixed then I can post what to do so others can get their Move tool working from the start.

I will also try to make a quick video showing how it currently functions to better explain the situation as this may be of more use than just textual description.

Edited by Jax_Cavalera

• Advanced Member

I am out of office at the moment. Therefore a skype session won't work right now. Friday I am back and we can try. In the meantime take a look at the brush alphas (brush panel top right). Maybe you have an alpha selected with a too strong fall of.

Assuming you are following along with the "Proverbial Pirate" tutorial:

1)  Make sure you are in pure Voxel mode (there will be a "V" in front of the Voxel Layer name in the Voxel Layer Panel).

2)  Click the "Brushes" tab on the far upper right to see the "Brush Alpha" shapes.  Choose the one on the top row, farthest right.

3)  Choose the "Move" tool.

Now, when you drag, you will be creating voxels as needed (like dynamic topology).  Brush Alpha shapes determine how the brush drags out new voxels.  My guess is that your Brush Alpha shape is not the one on the far right, top row.

Unless you have drastically changed 3D-Coat's UI - things are pretty much the same in version 4 (with the exception of graphic icons and a few controls at the top of the interface).

Greg Smith

• Like 1

Actually your tip about the brush did it.  I tried a lot of the brushes but never gave the one I was meant to a shot.. murphy's law.  I thought I had the brush tool that looks like the one in the tutorial video selected.. but it turns out that the one I was meant to select was just one brush over to the right and looks similar to the brush I was using so I will put the recording up so others can figure out what to do as well faster in case they are as blind as me!

Thank you all for your help solving the mystery of the blind 3D modeler XD

p.s. PSmith this is correct I was on the wrong brush and was use to Sculptris where Brushes are used to add texture to your sculpting tools not change the shape of how the tools work so that had me thrown a bit there but it's all good we got this sorted.   Thanks again everyone for helping get this one taken care of.

I notice at the end of the video some information missing from the top area but couldn't remember the names at the time of the recording : The name is Interpolate so I was right the first time with it starting with an "i" and wrong when I thought it was Extrusion, that extrusion bit comes later on I think when you did the eye sockets as an inverse extrusion.

Edited by Jax_Cavalera

• 1 year later...

Lol, coming from using Sculptris for 3 years now I had the same issue. Now that I am transitioning more of my sculpting to 3d Coat I had the exact same issue you did a few weeks ago, finally figured out it was that dumb brush ;) I have Move hotkeyed to G :) Old habits die hard, although since it is called Move I don't think of it as Grab so I will probably re-map to M. Sigh...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Answer in quotes.

Assuming you are following along with the "Proverbial Pirate" tutorial:

1)  Make sure you are in pure Voxel mode (there will be a "V" in front of the Voxel Layer name in the Voxel Layer Panel).

2)  Click the "Brushes" tab on the far upper right to see the "Brush Alpha" shapes.  Choose the one on the top row, farthest right.

3)  Choose the "Move" tool.

Now, when you drag, you will be creating voxels as needed (like dynamic topology).  Brush Alpha shapes determine how the brush drags out new voxels.  My guess is that your Brush Alpha shape is not the one on the far right, top row.

Unless you have drastically changed 3D-Coat's UI - things are pretty much the same in version 4 (with the exception of graphic icons and a few controls at the top of the interface).

Greg Smith

Actually your tip about the brush did it.  I tried a lot of the brushes but never gave the one I was meant to a shot.. murphy's law.  I thought I had the brush tool that looks like the one in the tutorial video selected.. but it turns out that the one I was meant to select was just one brush over to the right and looks similar to the brush I was using so I will put the recording up so others can figure out what to do as well faster in case they are as blind as me!

Thank you all for your help solving the mystery of the blind 3D modeler XD

p.s. PSmith this is correct I was on the wrong brush and was use to Sculptris where Brushes are used to add texture to your sculpting tools not change the shape of how the tools work so that had me thrown a bit there but it's all good we got this sorted.   Thanks again everyone for helping get this one taken care of.

I notice at the end of the video some information missing from the top area but couldn't remember the names at the time of the recording : The name is Interpolate so I was right the first time with it starting with an "i" and wrong when I thought it was Extrusion, that extrusion bit comes later on I think when you did the eye sockets as an inverse extrusion.