3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.3 updates thread

• Applink Developer

In my test, Multi-Core works inside of voxel surface mode. When you press proxy icon(take model away from proxy) in that mode all my 4 cores jumps to 100%. It's very fast.

But when I'm going back from surface into voxel mode it mostly uses only one core. in the end of calc it uses all my 4 cores but

it's only like 1% of the total calc time. But in the end. This is really big step into right direction.

• Reputable Contributor

From Andrew's twitter "Good news! It looks like experiments with voxel multiresolution are very successful at least on surface level." As

haikalle stated multi-core in surface mode is fast..

We got to remember this is a "beta version" and a new feature like multi-resolution will have it's bumps in the road till Andrew can make the adjustments to iron them out. Thanks Andrew for bringing the first multi-resolution work to 3DCoat. Keep up the great work...

• Contributor

Sure I can I tested it on multiple Win7 and Vista in both cuda and non cuda 64bit varients. Usually if im working on a thin area easily but after applying a Proxy to the mesh it i go to try and work on area I get horrible artifacting, and Smoothing no longer melts away voxels as it did before, it just creates a bunch of artifacting and Plane like super thin unworkable geometry. So I wont be able to use it for hands Feet anything that requires working in fine detail.

post-1266-12761202837901_thumb.jpg

post-1266-12761202911606_thumb.jpg

Sure I can I tested it on multiple Win7 and Vista in both cuda and non cuda 64bit varients. Usually if im working on a thin area easily but after applying a Proxy to the mesh it i go to try and work on area I get horrible artifacting, and Smoothing no longer melts away voxels as it did before, it just creates a bunch of artifacting and Plane like super thin unworkable geometry. So I wont be able to use it for hands Feet anything that requires working in fine detail.

If you gold W to see the wireframe can you see that it is indeed dense like before, or is it still low res?

• Contributor

If you gold W to see the wireframe can you see that it is indeed dense like before, or is it still low res?

Definitely Coming out of proxy Phil sorry. It's like verts are sticking in place even though its back as voxels.

post-1266-12761220727666_thumb.jpg

post-1266-12761220837067_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Please explain what do you mean? Please show several screenshots to reproduce the issue.

ORIGINAL Volume (body 2mil)

PROXY 4X ---move brush (just for fun)

Restored Cache--Banding appear

Hope that helps!

For a first try its pretty cool already. :)

• Reputable Contributor

Well...the good news in all of this, is that Andrew is back focused on the task, unlike the time he was heavily vested in Ptex. I'm just happy to get the ability to cache layers I'm not using. It makes it much easier now to work with higher detail sculpts...even without Multi-Res ability.

It'll likely take a few builds to iron all the wrinkles out in Multi-Res. In regards to Splodge's comments, I agree about the Surface mode workflow. I try to avoid Surface mode because of the horrid waiting game going back to voxels. It's more of a point-of-no-return, finishing mode, it seems.

With merge waiting time being the single largest problem with 3DC, it really should be addressed in the manual and Video manual, to help new and learning users know how to work around it...instead of letting them run headlong into it and grow frustrated like some of us have been.

Re-uploaded in attempt to solve "waves" issue. Use same links as above.

Btw this method of multiresolution is very perspective in terms of expanding functionality of surface mode. Let we get some brush like in Sculptris to perform local subdivision. In this case we will get correct multiresolution too regardless on new mesh topology. So, with combination of very probable future changes this approach paints really great future.

I find myself king of dumb but i can't figure out how to use multiple UV set :/.

I succed to creat a empty new UVset, to transfert UV from set 1 to 2 (but i got empty uvset1 then).

And i couldn't creat new UV in an empty UVset (i can't even see my object when the UVset is empty)

Any help is welcome :D

thank you

Speaking OF UV, an awesome feature would be to be able to choose an UVset for a layer to paint on.

• Contributor

Re-uploaded in attempt to solve "waves" issue. Use same links as above.

Btw this method of multiresolution is very perspective in terms of expanding functionality of surface mode. Let we get some brush like in Sculptris to perform local subdivision. In this case we will get correct multiresolution too regardless on new mesh topology. So, with combination of very probable future changes this approach paints really great future.

Right The problems I have seen have been after an attempt to convert things back to voxels so I can use the extended scultping bushes we have in the Voxel tool set. so can anybody else see these effects? Pinned points strange behaviour after converting back to Voxels or is this suppoosed to be a one way street to surface mode? if that is the case then its imperitive that the surface tools be expanded more like the voxel tools in functionallity.

I find myself king of dumb but i can't figure out how to use multiple UV set :/.

I succed to creat a empty new UVset, to transfert UV from set 1 to 2 (but i got empty uvset1 then).

And i couldn't creat new UV in an empty UVset (i can't even see my object when the UVset is empty)

Any help is welcome :D

thank you

Speaking OF UV, an awesome feature would be to be able to choose an UVset for a layer to paint on.

Unwrap model in any sort (or set seams manually) to be able to manipulate faces/islands. Then move required faces to the new uv-set. Then pack UV sets separately.

Right The problems I have seen have been after an attempt to convert things back to voxels so I can use the extended scultping bushes we have in the Voxel tool set. so can anybody else see these effects? Pinned points strange behaviour after converting back to Voxels or is this suppoosed to be a one way street to surface mode? if that is the case then its imperitive that the surface tools be expanded more like the voxel tools in functionallity.

Please show bigger set of screenshots to show the issue as a whole.

I really like the axial functionality for making my baroque fractals but it does not stay from proxy to original mesh.

How are you able to apply axial in proxy mode? Only deformations of proxy will be applied to source mesh.

Probably you moved from surface mode in proxy, made changes, then get back from proxy?

This will not work. You should not bring proxy mesh back to voxels because only deformations will be applied to the final mesh.

Unwrap model in any sort (or set seams manually) to be able to manipulate faces/islands. Then move required faces to the new uv-set. Then pack UV sets separately.

thank you, i understand it now. in fact i was misunderstanding "multiple UVset". In fact it allow you to have multiple texture to an object while i was thinking it could allow to have multiple UVset for any single face (on face could be on several UV sets). It's the way modo work.