3DCoat Forums

Zbrush Falloff 3DBrush Falloff tool

sculptactive

• Advanced Member

Below are pictures of the Fall off tool in ZB and 3DB.

It is a custom Alpha so I am not trying to compare quality.

I am trying to understand how they affect the alpha as they seem to get completely different results.

In ZB the Fall Off tool fades away nicely at the circumference enabling the user to merge the strokes.

In 3DB the Fall Off tool seems to condense the Alpha in the middle. Whilst the circumference does fade the alpha seems distorted at the centre.

ZB 0 ZB 50 3DB 0 3DB -50

post-435-1202366428_thumb.jpg

post-435-1202366443_thumb.jpg

post-435-1202366455_thumb.jpg

post-435-1202366466_thumb.jpg

Yes, I see the difference. ZBrush decreases amplitude of alpha at the edge but 3D-Brush performs radial gamma correction (radial distortion). It is easy to make fallof like in ZBrush. I think it is better in most cases. Other way - I can set how fallof will be done in every pen - using modulation of amplitude like in ZB or radial gamma correction like in 3DB.

• Advanced Member
Yes, I see the difference. ZBrush decreases amplitude of alpha at the edge but 3D-Brush performs radial gamma correction (radial distortion). It is easy to make fallof like in ZBrush. I think it is better in most cases. Other way - I can set how fallof will be done in every pen - using modulation of amplitude like in ZB or radial gamma correction like in 3DB.

I vote for the amplitude modulation

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Howdy Andrew,

Just checking-in on this to see how progress is coming along and if we might see

this feature in the near future (a couple of update releases or so).

I was copying an area for a new pen and still miss the ability to fade the edges

from within 3d-brush according to an alpha curve. ;)

cheers.

wailingmonkey

Howdy Andrew,

Just checking-in on this to see how progress is coming along and if we might see

this feature in the near future (a couple of update releases or so).

I was copying an area for a new pen and still miss the ability to fade the edges

from within 3d-brush according to an alpha curve. ;)

cheers.

wailingmonkey

Thanks for reminding. I hope to add new slider "Falloff" soon (I hope in 2.07 beta3). There is TOO many sliders now, so I will add checkers to options what sliders do you want to see on top panel. Someone likes "Focal depth" someone "Falloff" someone uses tham both.

Why not just add a box to add numerical input from 0-100 therefore saving space and having fall-off from nothing to very soft. You could have two arrows on each end of the numerical box when you hold you mouse over the right arrow icon it moves the numerical input up to 100 and when you place the mouse over the left arrow icon the opposite occurs. Also a scroll mouse might make use of this perhaps. Using the scroll wheel to move the numerical input up and down and only needing 1 botton and not 2.