3DCoat Forums

User Name Change?

Hey Mike! What would you like to change it to?

Not sure. Just wondering, preparing for the future. We talked about this.

Will the name change also affect prior post?

Where have you been? Haven't heard from you.

Cool, yeah it's totally doable. There only a limit to how many times it can be done. I'm not sure what that number is atm though. It does effect every post you've made on the forum, including the past posts/threads.

I've been uber busy! I'm finishing up another tutorial for The  Foundry using Modo (that will include some 3DC), some videos for Andrew on 3DC and a few other smaller projects freelance projects. Busy busy! :) How are you getting on with 3DC?

Good to here you're busy making money with your art. Can't wait to have that problem!

I want 3D Coat to be my go to sculpting program, but I'm having issues with some workflows, especially tiling textures. My art is all for game development, so tiling textures and projecting high poly models on to a plane in order to extract diffuse/normals/spec/etc, so I can bring into dDo/World Machine/CryEngine is paramount. Example: Zbrush has this tool that allows me to tile complex terrain textures and use as a brush in CryEngine. While I have found a way to tile bricks, the end of the workflow gets weird and much harder then it needs to be. Trying to tile complex shapes in 3DC has driven me to insanity twice already. These are just a few examples.

I can tell that retopology in 3DC will most likely be where I would want to get my lowpoly version of my organic game assets (architecture stuff will be left to 3DS Max). But I haven't even moved on to this area yet because I have yet to find solutions for the aforementioned. 

This week I started to give Mudbox a try, as it seems to get these things done a bit easier (I hate Zbrush's GUI/Workflow, if you haven't figured that out yet). But as I've been using Mudbox, I think I'm starting to learn that it has a limited toolset for sculpting, I think. I have yet to find a sort of "knife tool" that allows me to cut geometry according to a "spline" I draw. So far, I'm liking Mudbox, but I want to make sure the sculpting tools I think I'm missing from 3DC are not due to my noob experience with Mudbox. The other attraction is that Mudbox is an autodesk product and has live link with Max and huge support to go alongside.

3DC tools and voxel workflow has made sculpting for me very easy while avoiding meshes that stretch. Plus, the retopo/UV stuff seems perfect for my taste. Makes things easier for me (I hate unwrapping in Max).

Let's see how it works out. I'm currently on the education license of 3DC (Mudbox was free), soon I will be left with making a choice of which to go with, and then focus on having a professional understanding of the tool. I need a sculpting app to go alongside with Max, and right now, Mudbox is winning. 

That's where I'm at.