3DCoat Forums

Two questions- Layers (voxel room) & Transform

lildragon

Hiya, 2 quick questions regarding the subject... is there a way to parent objects quickly in the Voxtree? I broke apart a mesh that had disconnected pieces and making them child objects by using "Change Parent" is a bit tedious :( hoping there's a faster way. Second question is there an option to make the transform/pose tool have the traditional rotator gizmo? (XYZ) Right now the rotation circle is always aligned to the camera.

Thx!

~t

[EDIT] Just realized that the tips are the rotators :blush: So forget numero 2 hah

Edited by lildragon

I actually have another question... you can separate disconnected pieces but how to you combine meshes without merging? Every operation I've tried performs a boolean operation which isn't what I want

• Reputable Contributor

Hiya, 2 quick questions regarding the subject... is there a way to parent objects quickly in the Voxtree? I broke apart a mesh that had disconnected pieces and making them child objects by using "Change Parent" is a bit tedious :( hoping there's a faster way. Second question is there an option to make the transform/pose tool have the traditional rotator gizmo? (XYZ) Right now the rotation circle is always aligned to the camera.

Thx!

~t

[EDIT] Just realized that the tips are the rotators :blush: So forget numero 2 hah

What I do is "Change Parent" for one of those, and then you can just drag the other layers right over the top of that new child layer, to make it one also. Unfortunately, there is no multi-layer selection yet in 3D Coat...been requested over and over for years, so maybe the squeaky wheel gets the grease this time around? ;)

• Reputable Contributor

I actually have another question... you can separate disconnected pieces but how to you combine meshes without merging? Every operation I've tried performs a boolean operation which isn't what I want

You want multiple meshes on the same layer, intersecting without actually being merged as one mesh? The only way I could think of to do that is to merge all object to one layer while they are still disconnected > Select Pose Tool > Use SELECT BY OBJECT mode > select the parts and move them where you want them. But in general, 3D Coat intends one object = one layer.

Haha ok cool, yeah that's unfortunate, where as in Zbrush when you merge tools it's just sticking them together into one subtool. Ah well I think I can do without it for a bit... it just helps for quick manipulation of multiple pieces.

• Reputable Contributor

Haha ok cool, yeah that's unfortunate, where as in Zbrush when you merge tools it's just sticking them together into one subtool. Ah well I think I can do without it for a bit... it just helps for quick manipulation of multiple pieces.

I've always gotten by keeping discreet parts on their own layer. Like a weapon, football helmet, etc. Lot's of smaller parts, each of them parented to a specific....sometimes empty parent layer (ie. upper receiver, lower receiver, buttstock, etc.).

• Reputable Contributor

One really good reason why you should try to keep all the pieces on their own layer is that 3D Coat remembers the last location and orientation of the Transform gizmo for EVERY layer. You couldn't get that functionality if they were all separate on a single layer.

Hmm I think I've tried everything... 3dc just performs a boolean operation on everything, even on imports unless otherwise stated to push separate pieces to different volumes... :( Even if I could say select a top layer of a group of objects and able to manipulate them in unison... that would be awesome, because I really like the ability to group objects, as apposed to "merging" them ala Zbrush.

I think the simplest solution would be an option to import an object without merging?  Still learn 3dc ;)

And as per usual, I found the answer after posting  :unsure: Guess it helps to type it out.

"Through all Volumes" in the upper shelf! I love 3dc!

Now only thing left is sculpting through all volumes ;)

Edited by lildragon
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Hmm I think I've tried everything... 3dc just performs a boolean operation on everything, even on imports unless otherwise stated to push separate pieces to different volumes... :( Even if I could say select a top layer of a group of objects and able to manipulate them in unison... that would be awesome, because I really like the ability to group objects, as apposed to "merging" them ala Zbrush.

I think the simplest solution would be an option to import an object without merging?  Still learn 3dc ;)

When you import/merge to the Voxel Room, there is an option in the Tool Options panel to "Merge to separate Instances" or separate volumes. I use that anytime I merge a model with secondary objects, like clothing, belts, bracelets, etc. You could also assign sub/child layers to a blank parent layer that you can use to transform the whole group. Now that the Pose tool has a regular transform gizmo (as an option) for all transform operations, you could just use it for modifying separate parts on the same layer...if you really want to keep that option.

I'm going to ask Andrew to change the name of the tool to the Pose/Deform tool, as it being named the POSE tool can be very misleading to new users. It's a LOT more useful than just posing. It is the modeling equivalent to the Swiss Army Knife, in 3D Coat.