3DCoat Forums

Is V3 NVidia only?

bonito

• Advanced Member

This thread should be rolled into the graphics card thread IMHO.

And if MUST but a new CUDA NVIDIA Card ... then this is a very important fact.

Sure changes the price for 3DCOat. For me ... changes the price from $200.00 to

$300.00. I bought a new NVIDIA card about 1 year ago. NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT.

And now I find it is no longer any good for this app ???

Well ... then I must consider it part of the price of getting 3DCoat. You can break it

down mentally however you see fit. But this is the way I see it.

I think due to the buggy Alpha, missing progress bars (see VOX import), and other considerations ...

you might want to think about extending the alpha another few months to get this

thing right. Otherwise ... I might have to toss down another couple hundred and

get ZBrush instead.

I love 3DCoat ... and I do see it moving along well. But having to buy a new Graphics card

is a huge consideration for me ... even if it's just another $100.00 card.

• Advanced Member

ggaliens,

guess I'm not following your logic...$200 for 3dCoat v3.0 plus $100 graphics card supporting CUDA = $300

vs. Zbrush for $595 ( http://www.pixologic.com/store ). So even if you 'had' to buy a $200 graphics card to

get the CUDA performance boost you'd still be saving $100....

also, perhaps a misunderstanding on my part, but v3.0 will run on non-CUDA cards (hence the 'SIMPLE' versions

Andrew has been releasing alongside the CUDA versions), you just won't get maximum performance....

meaning a graphics card upgrade isn't absolutely 'necessary' in order to get the new features of v3.0.

(but advisable if you need to work with 20+ million polys)

ggaliens

I agree this is a very important thread as I asked a similar question in a graphics card thread but it wasn't followed up.

It is good that Andrew is clarifying that there will be support for ATI specific features in the future. (Having just swapped to ATI from Nvidia!)

As far as I understand it 3D-coat V3 will still be usable even without CUDA support and I am now trying the alpha with my ATI card and haven't hit problems, but have not gone to high polygons, which is where the issues seem to emerge.

(What I am also interested in is the relative performance contribution of the card vs. the rest of the computer when using v3.) In other words to what extent can a more powerful computer compensate for a less optimal graphics card in a 'realtime' environment?)

CdeB

ggaliens,

guess I'm not following your logic...$200 for 3dCoat v3.0 plus $100 graphics card supporting CUDA = $300

vs. Zbrush for $595 ( http://www.pixologic.com/store ). So even if you 'had' to buy a $200 graphics card to

get the CUDA performance boost you'd still be saving $100....

also, perhaps a misunderstanding on my part, but v3.0 will run on non-CUDA cards (hence the 'SIMPLE' versions

Andrew has been releasing alongside the CUDA versions), you just won't get maximum performance....

meaning a graphics card upgrade isn't absolutely 'necessary' in order to get the new features of v3.0.

(but advisable if you need to work with 20+ million polys)

Hi,

I'm new here and I could be wrong about this... but I think CUDA is free software available on the NVIDIA site. And it works with GeForce 8, 9, 100, 200-series GPUs with a minimum of 256MB of local graphics memory. For example: GeForce 8500 GT

Cheers

I am interested in knowing as well.

I have a ATI FireGL V7700 which isn't cheap.

If I have to change to a new NVIDIA card then it will cost me nearly 1k as I will not be buying a cheap card.

I only invest in Quadro cards.

When you say 1k I hope you're not talking about USD. I bought my card about a year and a half ago for $300 USD and it works great. It's an nVidia 8800 GTS. You can now get a better card than that for $75 USD.

just one example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814150332

• Advanced Member
I only invest in Quadro cards.

Why? Graphics card speed increases so fast (far faster than processors) it's pointless to make such an investment. you could buy a $1k card and 6 months later there is a faster card for $200 and so forth.

If you're going to spend that kind of money, though, why not check out something like this:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadroplex.html

Now *that* is a video card. It's external but has a PCI-e interface. 8gb of memory, 2 gpus, 480 cuda processing cores, 4 dual link DVI for display.

• Advanced Member

PhilNolan3D ...

Would you really recommend a VideoCard with only 512MB Ram in this 3DCoat rapid dev VOXEL climate ????

Not me. I got one and I figure it might be the source of some of my problems as such tiny memory ... I think

it is robbing from my system memory.

Anyone got a good 2GB ram recommendation ????

The NVIDEO 1GB Rams were expensive at BestBuy when I was browsing.

This thread should be rolled into the graphics card thread IMHO.

Sure changes the price for 3DCOat. For me ... changes the price from $200.00 to

$300.00. I bought a new NVIDIA card about 1 year ago. NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT.

And now I find it is no longer any good for this app ???

Why doesn't it work?, It seems others use Nvidia 8xxx series cards, without the need to complain?

Why is it suddenly no good? CUDA nor Nvidia are a requirement for 3DCoat. CUDA is an optional an enhancement you can choose to take advantage, if you have the means too. Also try to remember it's unlikely your videocard is only used by 3DC. It has other uses and programs that utilize it.

Vidoecards and computers will never be fast enough, If you are using 3DC as a profession, than the cost is inbuilt to your income you make by using the tool, if you are a hobbyist, than perhaps use the hardware you have until you are ready to turn professional, and can afford the Nvidia upgrade.

Well ... then I must consider it part of the price of getting 3DCoat. You can break it

down mentally however you see fit. But this is the way I see it.

I think due to the buggy Alpha, missing progress bars (see VOX import), and other considerations ...

you might want to think about extending the alpha another few months to get this thing right. Otherwise ... I might have to toss down another couple hundred and get ZBrush instead.

Well as it's an Alpha you haven't paid money, which makes your comments about cost laughable And then you threaten the author with attempts to leave to another application, Classy! Feel free to go and use Zbrush and remember the cost difference right up front... Might help make the Nvidia choices seem rather more logical. Please feel free to check out Zbrush! :)

I love 3DCoat ... and I do see it moving along well. But having to buy a new Graphics card

is a huge consideration for me ... even if it's just another $100.00 card.

Nobody is forcing you to buy a new videocard, If the applications you wish to run don't run well on your hardware, It's say it's your computer that is the problem and not that of the software you choose to run on it. 3D Sculpting software is quite computationally expensive and therefore it's likely that the cat and mouse game of performance will always be a hurdle to overcome. It seems you made a silly choice to invest in a substandard card for the thing you want to do.

Would you really recommend a VideoCard with only 512MB Ram in this 3DCoat rapid dev VOXEL climate ????

The NVIDEO 1GB Rams were expensive at BestBuy when I was browsing.

I wasn't really recommending it, I was just saying you could get a card better than mine for that price. Mine has a weird amount like 135MB or something and I have wished I had more, so yeah I guess the more the better. Big box stores like Best Buy will always be more expensive than online stores like New Egg. For example, here's a 2GB card for $140:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814187054

• 4 months later...