3DCoat Forums

[Solved] symmetry is not working ?

Flippers

hey gang. 

i have two eyeballs in my scene, i had symmetry ON, i used the transform tool to move the eyes and both eyes moved in the same direction. its like there was no symmetry at all? so i deleted one eyeball and tried the layer symmetry, nothing happened. i turned on symmetry by pressing S and tried the layer symmetry again. nothing has happened. i used the move tool to slightly move the eyeball hoping it would then use symmetry. still nothing has happened. 

i have seen this happen several times now while learning 3d coat. what the fudge am i doing wrong?

• Contributor

With two eyeballs in the scene:

1. Disable symmetry.

2. Cut Off one eyeball.

3. Select some tool (Smooth will do). Use the tool on your remaining eyeball. This will indicate what side to copy in point #6.

4. Undo.

5. Enable symmetry, X-axis.

6. Voxels->Symm Copy

Both eyeballs should react to Move tool now.

Note: Transform tool does not respect symmetry.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

If you want both eyeballs to move symmetrically in respect to one another, then use the Pose Tool. In the Tool Options of the Pose Tool there is an option to select one whole piece of disconnected mesh. Choose that selection type, and then click on one of the eyeballs. If you are using the default shader, that eyeball will turn completely red when it is selected. If you are using some other shader, then it will turn completely gray when it is selected. Make sure symmetry is activated and then move the eyeball to wherever you like. You will see that the other eyeball will move symmetrically as you were expecting. If you don't use the Pose Tool in this way, the eyeballs will move together as one unit, not symmetrically.

• 2 years later...