3DCoat Forums

ZBrush Curve insert mesh brush equivalent in 3DC?

3DTutorial

Does 3DC have any equivalent tool to the ZBrush curve insert mesh brush?

Like those shown here:

http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/insert-mesh/

If 3DC does have tools with similar functionality can someone tell me where they are found and perhaps point me to some tutorials on their use?

I use these tools a lot in ZB and if 3DC has something similar, I would be pleased to learn about them!

Thanks,

Joe

No prob! Unfortunately I can't seem to find a video on the function. I might have to make one.

Yes, I can't seem to find a tutorial either.... still looking.  If you ever mange to cook one up, please let me know.... that would be so helpful.   In the meantime, I will try and figure this out.

Cheers,

Joe

• Reputable Contributor

No prob! Unfortunately I can't seem to find a video on the function. I might have to make one.

Many features are under the Feature Demo's playlist, on the 3DC Youtube Channel. In 3D Coat, it's called "Kitbashing"...and I actually think it was one of the features Pixologic "borrowed" from 3D Coat. :)  I say this because some time after these two videos came up on the channel, you see the same type of functionality in a ZB update. Kitbashing also extends into the Retopo Room as well, where you can use the Models Pallet to store and access model/mesh presets as starting points for Retopo work.

Models Pallet:

Spline Pallet:

• Reputable Contributor

This video utilizes the Curves tool, replicating an object along the path, and shows how it's sometimes necessary to flip the object that's used, and re-save. Myself and others have asked Andrew for the ability to do this within the Curves tool itself, but it's one of those requests that never got any attention. You can rotate the object around the the curve, but not flip it's direction. For now, if you see the object replicating in the wrong direction, you have to do it manually to the base object > drag and drop that layer/object into the Splines pallet.

• Like 1

Hey AbnRanger,

Thanks a lot for those links.

Yes, I was aware of the kitbashing workflow (have been doing that for sometime) but I didn't know how to make a piece of geometry follow a curve/spline like in ZBrush.  Thanks to you guys, I've figured out how to do it now... which is awesome. So thanks again for the hints and tips.  I appreciate it.

Cheers,

Joe

• Reputable Contributor

AbnRanger you rock! Thanks for digging these up.. time to educate myself  ;)

Thanks, but yeah...it can be hard to find what you're looking for on Youtube, because it doesn't allow for a structured outline type of arrangement of content. It's just playlists

• Reputable Contributor

Hey AbnRanger,

Thanks a lot for those links.

Yes, I was aware of the kitbashing workflow (have been doing that for sometime) but I didn't know how to make a piece of geometry follow a curve/spline like in ZBrush.  Thanks to you guys, I've figured out how to do it now... which is awesome. So thanks again for the hints and tips.  I appreciate it.

Cheers,

Joe

Glad to help. I wish Andrew would allow a bit more control to the MERGE tool > ON PEN option. You can actually use the Spline Stroke Draw mode (E-Panel) to replicate a on object in that mode, but there isn't anywhere near the level of control you have when using the Curve tool. It doesn't respect your brush radius size along that spline stroke, and you can't control the spread/distance between the objects.

A few more additional options/refinements and the Curves tool could be so much cooler

tumblr_my7gd7YExq1smmsbuo1_400.gif