3DCoat Forums

What to do when Symmetry gets broken?

PolyPusher

I was working with a small cube (half of one, really) in the Retopo Room, and at some point the symmetry stopped working as it had been all along. If I turned on symmetry to create the other half of the object, my existing faces simply disappeared.  Turning on the Virtual Mirror Mode would display correctly, but as soon as I clicked the Symmetry button in the toolbox, all the faces are gone.  At the bottom of the window I see a message that says "Partial Symmetry 23.5%" which is strange, as I would expect it to say 0% (there are only polygons on one side of the symmetry line, after all).

Also, sometimes (but not always) when toggling Virtual Mirror Mode, as well as toggling the Symmetry axis, my polygons would disppear, leaving only the outlines of the UV seams.  In this case, clicking on the layer for that group of polygons in the Groups window would restore the polygons to view again.

In searching for an solution I found this post about using the Invert Mirror button: http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14952.  I tried that, but whether that box or not was checked seem to have no effect at all.  The only thing that seemed to have any effect was if I used the Transform tool to move all the faces across the symmetry axis.  In that case, the Symmetry tool worked, but of course now the faces are backwards so that doesn't really help.  Also, if I hit Undo after this, I got the message "Symmetry_broken" at the top of the window.

So, what to do when something like this happens?  I've tried every "Reset Symmetry" button or menu option I could find, but no luck.

post-38949-0-36876400-1427309863_thumb.j

post-38949-0-80331500-1427309863_thumb.j

post-38949-0-41657700-1427309864_thumb.j

post-38949-0-86246100-1427309864_thumb.j

I'm using version 4.1.17D.  Is it maybe something I did to set up the voxel mesh or retopo mesh?  I didn't do much to it, really (still learning the basics of 3D-Coat).  Made a voxel cube, added some details using Voxel Layer, used the primitive  Cube for Retopo mesh, split that in half, and then... here we are.

I've tried deleting the option.xml file, and the problem persists.  I've tried deleting the entire 3D-CoatV4 folder as well to see if it were something else in there, and still the problem persists.  I encountered something similar recently with another model, here: http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17562.  Digman was trying to help me with a problem, and he was unable to reproduce the problem on his end.  Is this possibly hardware or driver related?  Though I've tried this on both my laptop and desktop, each of which has different hardware, and it's the same situation in either case.

• 2 months later...

Here I was hoping to find a solution. I'm having the same problem in the voxel room with just one specific layer. Other layers mirror fine, but that one doesn't, it just vanishes. I'd hate to have to rebuild that one layer all over again, but I guess it can't be avoided.