3DCoat Forums

permanently remove color information from layer?

Flippers

Go to solution Solved by ajz3d,

i imported an obj and now my layers have this color swatch on them. the layer info told me there is color information on the layer which i'll get bach once i go to surface mode. thats totally handy but i dont need it for what i'm doing, how can i delete all color information? i just need shaders on my mesh while sculpting. 

cheers for any info on this!

• Contributor

Well, you can fill Layer 0 of this particular VoxTree layer with WHITE colour and 0% specularity (hide all other VoxTree layers before doing this or they will be affected too). This works, but I'm not sure about future consequences of this action, because it's generally not recommended to do anything with Layer 0.

Or, if the OBJ was exported from 3D-Coat, edit the file in a text editor (like Notepad++, which I highly recommend) and remove everything between (and including):

# The following MRGB block contains Vertex Color written by 3D-Coat
# mrgb data provided to keep compatibility with xNormsl (www.xnormal.net) and ZBrush -
# www.zbrush.com
# MMRGB (...)

and

# End of MRGB block

AND between:

# The following SPEC block contains Vertex Specular Color written by 3D-Coat
# Format of DWORDS are - Gloss|Rs|Gs|Bs - 2 characters per channel, Rs,Gs,Bs - color of specularity
# SPEC (...)

and

# End of SPEC block

This should delete all colour and specularity vertex data from the file.

Then, import the file and voila.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor
  • Solution

Okay, there's a simpler way of discarding vertex colour information.

Create an empty surface layer and select it, if it's not already selected. Select Import tool and disable Import to Separate Instances. Apply. This will use vertex colour information from newly created VoxTree layer, which is... None. :)