3DCoat Forums
  1. General

1. Announcements

This area contains official announcements from the Pilgway team

3. New Releases, Bugs Reports & Development Discussion

This is a section of the forum specifically for final and beta releases and discussing new developments. Also to report any new bug found.

1. General 3DCoat

Discussions related to 3DCoat, and also share ideas for improving the program.

This subforum covers some typical workflows in 3DCoat, and how they involved the different workspaces/toolsets in the application.

SDK, scripts & plugins development. If you want to create or share custom scripts & plugin(s) for 3DCoat, you can find the information here to do so.

4. SOS! If you need urgent help for 3DCoat

Any urgent matter that needs to be dealt with as soon as possible

1. CG & Hardware Discussion

CG meeting area. General Discussion, News, films, games discussions, etc.

Have a Brush, Stencils, Smart Materials, Shaders, Extension, etc. you'd like to share ?
      Post it here !

1. 275

• Today we are revisiting The Base Mesh 2.0, a resource we first featured back in 2022. In that earlier feature, TheBaseMesh.com featured over 250 high quality low polygon UV unwrapped meshes that are game ready or well prepared for sculpting. In the two years since that collection has grown almost 5 fold, now featuring over 1,100 base meshes to download. All of the assets are available under the CC0 licenses which enables commercial use and changes to the models as well as being available in OBJ, FBX and GLB formats. Additionally the website it’s has receive d an overhaul dubbed The Base Mesh 2.0, with this tweet explaining the new features:
    • One more thing to add - I managed to make it work, just not sure for how long. Current version is 24.18 Scene Scale has to be set to 0.1 with Use Fixed Scene Scale enabled. Blender 1.0 and it only works with The second option to export that pops up Blender as option, not Bring back to which is above it.   Please have this looked at if you can, I don't really know what the Bring option should do, but it must confuse everyone as both Will send mesh to Blender, and both react to GetBack button in Blender Applink. Export option gives proper scale mesh with 0.1 scene scale but Bring gives you mesh that's 10x or 100x bigger.
    • Reported again Thanks for point it up
    • Sadly it doesn't seem to work on 4.1 Most likely due to python version change. A lot of addon developers released updates for 4.1 Will the dev team check this eventually and test for themselves? I really need the native Applink to work to keep the scale consistent between proejcts.
    • Please try this Hope it help    
    • Trust me many concept artist accomplish their works this way. Some use Blender and some use Substance Painter for texturing. Some may use a renderer and then paint over in PS. For most cases, a concept model will not be one-time only. For those who are doing large landscape, they will definitely go out of Coat because it cannot hold so many objects. For those who are working with creatures or items, vehicles, Zbrush provides more precision and quality, which is why some artists only use Coat for early stage modelling. (P.S. I am talking about realistic works) What kept them in Coat is the ease to build models. Even so, how to keep the quality of exported models is always a big problem. I risk losing details every work in Coat. I really hope Coat can be like Blender where I can do all the work in. But that is way more than just a render engine. If we are going out of Coat anyway, why using a renderer built in Coat. And because of the quality lost when transferring textures, concept artists I know hardly use Coat for texturing. To make Coat a more solid tool, it takes more than just an engine, but many more works on the earlier stage. The Sculpt Room becomes slow when polycount exceeds a hundred M; the Modelling Room is not intuitive enough; the Retopo room is not capable to hold dense mesh and many small optimization to make. Again, I am not totally against the idea. There are people who in need of a new renderer. Just really, Pricing and Time are the issue here. If they really manage to work it out without raising the price. Then cheers. But really, I doubt it. It is a major implementation, after all.
    • Each of these Send the Object at different size. I'm unable to keep consistent 1:1 scale in Blender with Applink Send and GetBack. Please can someone give me tested settings in 3D Coat for Scene scale so I can send object there and back and keep them in scale? My scene scale in Blender is 1.0 Also Scene scale master keeps resetting to default value, which I'm not sure is desirable.
    • Thanks for that Cavity Masking tutorial. Just what I wanted.
    • I'm well aware I need poles. But as I was saying - the triangulation Makes the mesh unusable. I cannot rig any mesh that's been built multi-res in 3D Coat which makes it a huge hindrance. Nor can I use it as base for anything else if I want to go into different software. The point about videos is that there is lacking documentation about the NEW 3D Coat and most of videos are over 5 years old. I was happy 3D Coat channel started getting videos on separate features and that should be the norm for future as well, so we can easily look it up like documentation for specific uses.
    • I was looking forward to this feature! Finally no more clutter in blender. I just want to point out that I think it belongs to export settings which is In/Out tab. I was looking for it for a while and Tools isn't an intutive menu to put it under.  
    • ok lets say ... they decide to implement a rendering engine ,  1. price will sky rocket and more than likely have to go to a rental service  2. it will be time consuming for the team . 3. it removes focus from serious issues that 3dcoat currently has and away from any features that would actually be practical . now .. @AbnRanger do you currently own a license for a renderer ?
    • So, after some months without builds or, to my knowledge, any communication about the status of Linux development, may we have any news about the Linux development? Thanks in advance for any info given. There's been a lot of bug fixes and new improvements since the last update available to us. I'd like to know if or when we'll get to use any of those. Again, thanks for any info you may provide.
    • Yeah, that use case is not really what most would try to achieve in 3DCoat anyway. That doesn't mean having a solid render engine in the application would be of no benefit. I keep going back to IRay in Substance Painter. Its purpose is to allow the user to render a high quality image of the model that was texture painted in the application. In some cases, that serves the user well enough...for Model Sheets or Product Renders, etc. Right now, the Default Render engine in 3DCoat isn't of sufficient quality to do that, so you almost have to render outside 3DCoat.
    • The new Layer Masks work very well and are fully compatible with Photoshop Do you not have poles with quad meshes? With any character model, you will have quite a few 5 point poles just in the face region. You need them actually, to help keep loops going around the eyes and mouth. How do you suppose they magically disappear in ZBrush, when sculpting with Subdivision levels? So what if Pilgway posted some videos and paused? What is your concern with that? Anton Tenitsky is also a partner of Pilgway and posts 3DCoat videos regularly on his channel.  (1) 3DCoat - YouTube (1) Anton Tenitsky - YouTube Not even counting the sculpting videos of Rygaard, there are hundreds of video tutorials on the 3DCoat Youtube Channel, and most of the newer features are covered already. Two of those are in this post alone.  Korah, what is the purpose coming to this forum to persistently unload a laundry list of complaints, and cynical views about the software? Why not do something constructive with your time, instead of being destructive.
    • One vehicle or building of thirty million maybe fine, but a scene may contain many such vehicles and buildings. The scene would remain high density even after decimation. In my experience, Coat is not good at handling this. But this is only my case and no matter how much we talk about this it's still just making more assumptions. The decision belongs to the developpers to make. They have more to consider.
    • Yes, when baking the mesh into a paint object, select Import Tiles as UV Sets.
    • Octane Render has free versions (limited to using one GPU, though) in Blender, Modo, Unity and Daz. That and the popularity of Unreal 5 as a real time renderer is one reason why an industry standard engine, integrated by Pilgway, is not out of the question. Many of these render engines have scatter utilities with proxies, so rendering a heavy scene isn't necessarily a big problem.