3DCoat Forums

almost instant Sci-fi greeble technique with 3d-coat

• Advanced Member

Here goes:

I was using :brush: 3d-brush err... 3d-coat to do some simple texturing for a Poser clothing. And it occurred to me to import the mesh without smoothing, just to see what happened.

Then I selected a black colour, and chose a "more on cavity" brush dependency. I used the fill tool, and voila! I got instant greeble!

I attach a render where I used the resulting texture for specularity, and as a bump map.

But I think this technique could be used for making greeble for spaceships, etc, it is REALLY easy and fast to do.

post-460-1205720451_thumb.png

• Contributor
Here goes:

I was using :brush: 3d-brush err... 3d-coat to do some simple texturing for a Poser clothing. And it occurred to me to import the mesh without smoothing, just to see what happened.

Then I selected a black colour, and chose a "more on cavity" brush dependency. I used the fill tool, and voila! I got instant greeble!

I attach a render where I used the resulting texture for specularity, and as a bump map.

But I think this technique could be used for making greeble for spaceships, etc, it is REALLY easy and fast to do.

Are you goin to do a tute on this for us please Mox?

Also. can you do a .mov version of that 3DC to Carrara tute for us please?.

I think utube is an utter waste of time for--well--just about anything! Sorry!

• Advanced Member
Are you goin to do a tute on this for us please Mox?

Also. can you do a .mov version of that 3DC to Carrara tute for us please?.

I think utube is an utter waste of time for--well--just about anything! Sorry!

What i find usefull for youtube videos is Download helper, its a firefox addon that lets you download the .flv file, you then can view it in in a standalone player

• Advanced Member
What i find usefull for youtube videos is Download helper, its a firefox addon that lets you download the .flv file, you then can view it in in a standalone player

Agree, i also use it. Also you can use IDM (internet download manager), it instals flexible automatic .flv downloader for both IE and firefox based browsers.

But, unfortunately, some peoples prefers to try to change whole world and reality (and reality is that 90% of videos all over the web are in flash format) rather then change themself a litle and spend 15 minutes to understand why flash is better and to install needed tools.

• Advanced Member

I'll try my hand on doing a quickie detailed tutorial on the technique, it's really simple, but it is probably an unexpected (but very useful!) result of the tools in 3d-coat.

Roger-K=RogerKnightly, of Silo forum fame? Nice to see you around!

• Contributor

Yukon

I have no problem with Flash. And I have no problem with saving/playing .flv. but NO Way I am going to spend money to get an app to save the inferior quality of the You tube stuff.

Quite honestly, I think it's a bit of an insult to have most of this YouTube stuff around at all! Can you imagine how we will look back on it in shame in a ?year or so?

• Advanced Member
Yukon

but NO Way I am going to spend money to get an app to save the inferior quality of the You tube stuff.

You dont have to pay money for this - there is plenty of free stuff that can do this job well.

Quite honestly, I think it's a bit of an insult to have most of this YouTube stuff around at all! Can you imagine how we will look back on it in shame in a ?year or so?

Why? I cant see any problem with it. Internet speeds grows, it is fast and cheap nowdays, so there is no caching slowdowns problem with streaming media. So personaly i prefer to view things in browser instead of downloading it to HDD, sorting and keepeng it localy, if it something i want to view once (such as most of you tube stuff). But in case you need to view it after some time again all those files easily downloadable and viewable localy using free tools.

You dont have to pay money for this - there is plenty of free stuff that can do this job well.

Why? I cant see any problem with it. Internet speeds grows, it is fast and cheap nowdays, so there is no caching slowdowns problem with streaming media. So personaly i prefer to view things in browser instead of downloading it to HDD, sorting and keepeng it localy, if it something i want to view once (such as most of you tube stuff). But in case you need to view it after some time again all those files easily downloadable and viewable localy using free tools.

Andrew,

This argueing is getting stale. You seem to want to compete in a market that promotes quality. The best approach is to notice what established, reputable companies do with great success. YouTube (or any low quality video) could not be seriously considered as a medium for tutorials on a state-of-the-art application such as 3d-Coat. Leave it to the cell phone crowd where it belongs. Look to (successful) companies like Pixologic who care how they are perceived by their user base. ZBrush tutorials are a fantastic resource, well organized and presented in both streaming and downloadable formats for users trying to follow step-by-step, click-by-click examples.

Those that marvel at the increasing internet speeds and the new gadgets to facilitate basic operations like saving a tutorials see this from the viewpoint of the computer, not the art. I do not want to have to load new tools or upgrade my internet service (at high cost) to get the latest gadget. My goal is to get past the computer to get to the art.

Not wanting to organize this data on your HD seems counter to the very concept of learning. My most valuable resource is the reference data stored on my system, like the books on my shelf, for it represents what is important to me.

Look to your competition.

• Advanced Member
Andrew,

Look to (successful) companies like Pixologic who care how they are perceived by their user base. ZBrush tutorials are a fantastic resource, well organized and presented in both streaming and downloadable formats for users trying to follow step-by-step, click-by-click examples.

Thats funny :lol: It looks like you really know what you are talking about. Ouh, by the way, just to let you know - Pixologic team always uploaded their videos to youtube (among other services), even more, during ZB 3 beta period most of the videos firstly apear on youtube, before any other places. Go to youtube, type "zbrush" and start to count videos (also check who is uploader of some videos). If its to hard, call me - i'll come and help you to count'em all ;) You can also check it for "Mudbox" videos.

When 3DC team will make line of quality tutorials i'll vote for making them in a good quality and .mov/.avi/.wmv format, like ZClassroom, but for "fast'n'Dirty" media nothing is better than flash.

• Advanced Member
lets not Hijack Juans thread here lads.

Thanks Roger.

Anyway, back to topic.

Here are some screenshots that explain what I mean with almost instant greeble.

The quicky render is in Lightwave

post-460-1206050691_thumb.jpg

post-460-1206050710_thumb.jpg

post-460-1206050729_thumb.jpg

post-460-1206050768_thumb.jpg

post-460-1206050805_thumb.jpg

post-460-1206050849_thumb.jpg