3DCoat Forums

Carving out in sculpt mode?

SolacenHaven

Hi, I was just wondering if there was any way I could like... chop off or carve something in 3d-Coat.

I'm using version 3.5 and when I go into sculpt mode with an object, it just doesn't work. The move tool won't change anything and so on... but I might just be doing it wrong.

Is there any way I could carve out/chop off a part of something? I think I'd be able to do it with voxels, but my object disappears when I try to switch to it.

• Contributor

When you import your mesh you need to choose File>>Import>>Import mesh for voxelizing. Then use the scale gizmo that appears to scale up your mesh to the size you want. The bigger the size, the more detail you will get, and also you will get a higher voxel count.

After your mesh has been imported as voxels, you can then use the Carve tool in the voxel room to cut parts of your mesh off. The Carve tool must be set to "invert tool action" (found in the options at the top of the voxel room) if you want to use it to cut off parts of your mesh.

First, make sure you are using the latest beta version of 3DC. Then, try using the new "Cutoff" tool that is part of "Surface Mode". You can get to Surface Mode by clicking the small rectangle next to a Voxel Layer.

This tool allows you to make very clean cuts - all the way through your model - and you can use the tools from the "E" panel (Press "E") to obtain precise control over what portions you want to "subtract" from the main object.

The other method for "chopping" something off a model is to use the "Merge" tool. Simply select a Primitive shape or any mesh (.obj is good), transform the shape with the Widget, and hold "Ctrl" while pressing "Enter" to perform the Voxel Subtraction.

Greg Smith

• Reputable Contributor

Don't forget clone and cut and clone tools in voxel mode. Your pieces you cut out then can also be used for cutters.

Also for more making special cutters you can create a new layer (Clone space density) under the vox tree tab and then create your cutter on that layer.

Next move it (vox tree tab) to the layer that has your model you want to cut out of.

Next clone your cutter or cut and clone it and you can use it as a cutter as many times as you want...

This works in the reverse too for adding additions.

Link to an old work I did using this method... I do need to finish it one day... :blink:

http://3d-coat.com/f...h=1

You can save the cutters in the models tab if you so desire...

Cut off in surface mode is still a little buggy. It works most of the time but sometimes not...