3DCoat Forums

Reference image feature.

sgiff

Would be nice to have a panel or tab next to the materials masks panel that would allow an image to be loaded for using as a reference for sculpting. Right now I'm using a shell extension that allows you to make a window i.e. windows picture viewer stay on top of other windows but if it were a panel in 3D coat it could be saved with your file. Of course if you have two monitors which unfortunately I don't then you can always use your other monitor.

hi sgiff,

this was added before v3.0 final got released (see image on where to find)

:)

Well ain't that dandy. :) Actually I knew that you could do that, I just forgot but this implementation is what you would find in standard modeling apps. What I really was trying to do was have a reference image that didn't rotate with the camera so was visible at all times.

thanks though for reminding me of this.

Are you saying you want to have an image in the viewport that moves with your viewport and doesn't stay in the same spot in 3D space?

If so, what is the purpose of that and how would it be useful?

• Advanced Member

hmmm...I don't immediately see the benefit of this either, but you could possibly add

a sub-object (merge it into the scene) that was a UV-mapped plane. You'd then assign

your texture to it on a layer and you'd have freedom to move it around (offset it) by

going into 'Sculpt' and moving the whole object.

It's a hack, but it would be a possible workaround to your request...

• Advanced Member
Would be nice to have a panel or tab next to the materials masks panel that would allow an image to be loaded for using as a reference for sculpting. Right now I'm using a shell extension that allows you to make a window i.e. windows picture viewer stay on top of other windows but if it were a panel in 3D coat it could be saved with your file. Of course if you have two monitors which unfortunately I don't then you can always use your other monitor.

Sure you can do it in 3DC.

Windows -> Popups -> Color Picker, then choose "Image picker" from the top-right corner of the window.

post-751-1249324949_thumb.jpg

Right now I'm using a shell extension that allows you to make a window i.e. windows picture viewer stay on top of other windows

If nothing else I suggest looking into IrfanView. It's free but has tons of features for an image viewer. It also has an Always On Top option. I find myself using it every day for one thing or another. If you download it be sure to download the plugin pack as well.