3DCoat Forums

Would it be possible to use 3d coat to create a whole level?

cj31387

Has anyone done this? Created a whole level like a hl2 sized map or so inside 3d coat, not piece by piece to import and setup in a game engine seperatly, but all one scene in 3d coat and then export out as a optimized level (fbx or whatever)?

http://voxelfarm.com/ - this is specifically for level design its voxel based. Wondering if 3d coat could do basically the same thing with the right workflow.

• Like 1

• Contributor

What you describe i do it almost everyday , sometimes assets only , sometimes level parts , even full levels.

Voxel Farm is an entirely  different program with different workflow and fits in another matter in a pipeline.

You cant retopo for example and 3d coat has cloth physX but not destruction or explode.

Download the demo of 3dc and try to make a small level so you know exactly 100% if it suits you.

From my experience i say it does.

Michael.

What you describe i do it almost everyday , sometimes assets only , sometimes level parts , even full levels.

Voxel Farm is an entirely  different program with different workflow and fits in another matter in a pipeline.

You cant retopo for example and 3d coat has cloth physX but not destruction or explode.

Download the demo of 3dc and try to make a small level so you know exactly 100% if it suits you.

From my experience i say it does.

Michael.

What tools/brushes do you use mostly for blocking out buildings and architecture? I see that the construction tool was added and looks like it would suite creating levels very well, what other brushes/tools are best for creating a 3d map like half life 2 or an world with terrain and buildings?

Is there any way to import unity terrain to 3d coat and build a map in 3d coat and then re-export to unity?

• Contributor

Greetings , 

you can use hard surface workflow for creating levels ( kindly refer to youtube 3dc official channel for tutorials).

This will show you the brushes etc , in a future not far away relase of 3dc we will have also low poly modelling ,

have a look here http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7912&page=1 , search the pages and you will see the low poly modelling tools Raul is creating for us.

If you can export (with an external asset) the terrain from Unity as an obj or fbx then yes 3dc can accept it and work on it as a base.

• 1 month later...

Greetings , 

you can use hard surface workflow for creating levels ( kindly refer to youtube 3dc official channel for tutorials).

This will show you the brushes etc , in a future not far away relase of 3dc we will have also low poly modelling ,

have a look here http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7912&page=1 , search the pages and you will see the low poly modelling tools Raul is creating for us.

If you can export (with an external asset) the terrain from Unity as an obj or fbx then yes 3dc can accept it and work on it as a base.

Can you explain in a little bit of detail how you make levels in 3d coat? Is there snap to grid in 3d coat. How do you go about blocking out a level, brushes, or primitives. Also how do you factor in scale. I am planning on doing a semi minecraft like game level except non destructable where each cube is 1.2m x 1.2m x 1.2m . I would need exact scale to unity3d how do you go about modeling to a certain scale?