3DCoat Forums

Importing Multiple Objects in Single OBJ File

Teriander

Go to solution Solved by digman,

• Reputable Contributor

Much is left out of your workflow information...

What version of 3DC are you using.

What software did you use to create the obj file.

Are you importing into the paint room using Per Pixel, Micro-Vertex, Ptex

Are you importing into the retopo room to use the mesh as a low polygon model for your high detail voxel or surface mode object.

Does your obj model have uv-sets already created.

Are you using UDIM uv tiling.

Are you auto-unwrapping for the uv-set if are importing into the paintroom when the models inside the obj file have do not a uv set...

Please answer some of the above questions... Thanks, it helps in giving you more accurate answers..

Edited by digman

• Contributor

When I import an obj file that consist of multiple objects, 3D Coat uses the same UV Unwrap on ALL the objects. How do I get 3D Coat to recognize each separate object to have its own UV Unwrapping?

Assign a different material to each object and then import the file to 3D-Coat - to retopo, uv or paint room.
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Assign a different material to each object and then import the file to 3D-Coat - to retopo, uv or paint room.

I was going to mention that fact about the material IDs... I have shot in the dark many times, only to be in turned shot by the user saying that is not what he needed or wanted... LOL... I now generally ask for more detailed information when there could be more than one answer... I think in this case you have given the user the correct answer...

Sorry,  Im using 3D-Coat 4.5.19 and 3D Max 2016.  I'm exporting as a obj with multiple objects selected.  Each object has its own ID number and own Material assigned to it.  For example, 4 separate ceiling pieces have IDs 1,2,3,4 and 4 different materials assigned.  

When I import the obj into 3D Coat using the "UV Map Mesh", my "Paint Object" list has all 4 objects listed correctly.  My "Surface Materials" list has all 4 materials listed.  But my UV mapping window has ALL objects sharing the same UV Tile.  How do I separate each object to have its own UV tile? 

Thanks

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

Try importing with Import Tiles as UV Sets. I don't use Max, so I'm shooting in the dark here.

If the user is exporting using multi-uv set tiling, even if he imports with "import Tiles as UV sets, they still will get stacked on top of each other in the UV room...

Internally 3DC is keeping them separate for painting purpose but that is not exposed to the user.

You can not edit tiled uv sets in 3DC as it does not support them. I am talking about editing them in the UV room..

3DC only supports painting on UV tiles by using the "Import Tiles as UV sets"

Do your painting and then under the export options, choose export UV sets as Tiles...

ajz3d, I think your answer to the other user's UDIM problems might fit here as well or part of it. We shall see... :)

I will post the link, so it can be gleamed for information.

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18577

I have no problem importing into the UV room obj files with multiple objects with material IDs  plus the individual uv sets.

If you are having problems importing regular uv sets into the UV room, then if possible share the file or a file that is similar to that one and we can test for problems.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1