3DCoat Forums

My 3D programmer art

Gian-Reto

• Advanced Member

Wanted to start sharing some of my 3D Coat stuff with the community that helped me so many times when I had trouble with 3D Coat.

Okay, as I am not that talented in creating beautiful renders, all my pieces being created for a game prototype I am working on and therefore all the shots I did where ingame (thus with a crappy realtime shadow system and without fancy ray tracing), I rather post my stuff not in the finished section. Its really not that good to my eye, just training pieces that need to do double duty for as assets my future game :)

And yeah, I am a mere mortal (programmer) doing this as a hobby, so don't expect too much...

Anyway, before I bore you to death, shiny pics of me newest creation and the first piece I finished by texturinging in DDO:

post-6386-0-32529800-1422022542_thumb.pn

post-6386-0-11861400-1422022557_thumb.pn

post-6386-0-94115200-1422022571_thumb.pn

post-6386-0-53249200-1422022588_thumb.pn

post-6386-0-15348600-1422022604_thumb.pn

Its an automated AA Gun turret... serving as some kind of sentry gun in my current prototype.

Sculpting was done in Voxels in 3D Coat - Retopo and UV Layout also 3D Coat. Maya LT was used for duplication/mirroring of objects and pivot point cleanup. Texturing was done in DDO, PS, Gimp and 3D Coat for some handpainted details. Crazy Bump and Substance Designer were used to bake out some of the maps. Illum maps where created in PS.

Game Engine is Unity, by the way.

Besides some things needed to be still done (Textures are still too high-res, all textures need to be baked into an atlas), the asset is pretty much finished.

Only thing I am really not too happy is the overall colour scheme. I wanted a light grey/brown that would fit the reddish desert theme of the scene and still stand out... but somehow, the color turned out too light, hiding the painstakingly placed edge wear, while still not really blending into the scene nicely.

I am thinking of going with a more dark reddish or brown color instead... don't know... suggestions?

Edited by Gian-Reto
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Realy nice.

The last 3 pictures are a little bit dark. It is hard to see some details.

What about some camoflage texturing with red and brown instead of pure red or brown?

• Advanced Member

mmh... while I really like camouflage painting, I don't think it would suit this piece.

It shouldn't be military equipment, but more something like "big corporation defending its mining operations against thieves" type of equipment... so rather than being as camoed as possible it should be a rather flashy paint, while on the other hand fitting in with the "corporate branding" of this corporation (which, of course, I haven't decided yet on colors or logos).

In hindsight, the color I choose was really a bad choice for that... Any ideas what could be fitting? Should I go with a simple paint job in the "branding colors", or should I add some warning colors / patterns to make the turret more visible?

About the last three.... yeah, I wanted to show off my illum maps. But I see how the rest of the model is now almost impossible to see. Kind of defeats the purpose. I'll try to get brighter shots after reworking the colors...

my humble suggestion

if i need to design a paint, first i check the environment and chronological era

i check if there are opposing bands, armies or groups.

so i try to design a geometrical detail and palette color for each group

then i design some patterns by force... aerial, terrain forces, water navy, high weapons.

the buildings/supply must be painted in correspondence

• Contributor

I would go with visibility especially if they are to deter would be trespassers. The fact that your exquisite details are to play no role in how this model is to be used is to remind us of practical matters while we are immersed in the creative process.

• Advanced Member

Hmmm.... after consulting some reference images, I am thinking about some dark yellow/orange or a pale blue now. Just to help visibility.

Dark red of course would be awesome, but i am not sure if it would stand out enough.... time to give it a try I guess.

• 1 month later...