3DCoat Forums

Constrain Sculpt brushes to curve?

jedwards

• Advanced Member

I thought for sure I had seen some form of constraining stroke/brush to a curve made possible quite awhile back. I'm looking for it now and not seeing anything though. Perhaps I misinterpreted the announcement and what I'm looking to do isn't actually possible.

Basically what I want is to use a voxel brush, such as scrape, to chisel away at the volume based on a curve I create that conforms to the surface. Pretty much exactly what mudbox can do with its curve tool. So you make the curve first, then just scribble away along it, forcing the stroke to adhere to the curve. If this is already possible, could someone point me to the proper tool? I'm just looking for a quick way to add beveling along a sharp organic surface with with more precision than if I were to just eyeball it, and to not have to make a boolean object or do any fancy cutoff gymnastics. A quick example would be to take a cylinder volume with its sharp caps and create a bevelled edge on it. My need is more complicated than that, thus the need to define a curve first.

Cheers!

• Contributor

Well in the curves tool options pallet is translate brush along curve check box.I don't seem to be able to get it to work now.Usually you just have set up the brush first, such as extrude and then go to the curves and check translate brush along curve,but it might be broken. :(

• Contributor

Well in the curves tool options pallet is translate brush along curve check box.I don't seem to be able to get it to work now.Usually you just have set up the brush first, such as extrude and then go to the curves and check translate brush along curve,but it might be broken. :(

Hmm...I never noticed it.I wonder how it works. It really does nothing too on my side. :unsure:

I thought for sure I had seen some form of constraining stroke/brush to a curve made possible quite awhile back. I'm looking for it now and not seeing anything though. Perhaps I misinterpreted the announcement and what I'm looking to do isn't actually possible.

Basically what I want is to use a voxel brush, such as scrape, to chisel away at the volume based on a curve I create that conforms to the surface. Pretty much exactly what mudbox can do with its curve tool. So you make the curve first, then just scribble away along it, forcing the stroke to adhere to the curve. If this is already possible, could someone point me to the proper tool? I'm just looking for a quick way to add beveling along a sharp organic surface with with more precision than if I were to just eyeball it, and to not have to make a boolean object or do any fancy cutoff gymnastics. A quick example would be to take a cylinder volume with its sharp caps and create a bevelled edge on it. My need is more complicated than that, thus the need to define a curve first.

Cheers!

I asked Andrew longtime ago and he said it was not too hard to implement .It is probably somewhere on his gigantic to do-list. :)

I wanted it in such a way we would only need to press enter and the stroke would run along evenly along the spline from e-panel,

and that even if the curve go behind the camera.Thus making it better than Mudbox curve which is only a 2d screenbased curve.

I thought especially of this for scrape and flatten tool for which it is hard to achieve long precise strokes without using 2 strokes(which breaks the continuity of the stroke).

• Advanced Member

Yes! Whatever gives the cleanest, fastest result. I'd be happy with pressing enter and have it perform the stroke. The most important requirements here are: Freeform curve control, including straight lines, compatible with most/all brushes, and controling the normal vector of the stroke either with numerical/spinner control, or with a vector control handle. This might be a nice option if it could be modified individually per control point on the curve as well. =D

Something like this would really round out the excellent hard surface capabilities that 3dc already has. Booleans and cut operations work pretty well for simpler cuts and shaping efforts - especially in the early stages of creation, but for more complicated things or wanting to do refinements after creating a primitive or performing booleans I find there's no options to refine and shape other than by hand.

Thanks for the input guys.