3DCoat Forums

Support for Multiple uv maps and multiple texture images. and export multiple images.

NinjaTaco

I don't think so. Btw, it doesn't combine them, it trashes all your old UV sets and makes a new one when you automap on import.

Anyway, I was just working with Andrew on a particular import bug I was having with lightwave objects with many UV maps and textures, and he said today he just fixed a problem so this should work in the next build. I've also asked him to make each uv map/texture/channel a separate layer so we can fine tune things easier. Before this fix he's about to release, it collapsed them into one layer if it was successful at importing and didn't crash.

Here is a workaround until the next build (it is a bit more time consuming but works):

• Import your object with the Multiple UV map and Keep UVs
  • On import set all UV map sizes to the smallest like 128 x 128 - and click OK - it shouldnt crash (depending on if you have a halfway decent card)
  • now once it is loaded, hide the flattened texture color Layer since you wont need it
  • go into Edit > Mesh and Texture Resolution and change the UV sets to larger sizes as you need them
  • Now for each texture you will need to manually import them, so for each, create a new layer, select it, and then go to Textures > Import > Diffuse/ displacement/bump/spec as needed to load that larger texture into the new blank layer
  • step 5 takes a while, but later you can save this .3b file and it will open quickly next time
I had a model with like 50 UVs that wouldn't load when set to 1024, but if I loaded them with 128 and changed it after the load to 4096 it worked.

However, as of today, it sounds like Andrew has fixed this and we will see great improvements soon! - He's an amazing developer! So try this, it may help you in the meantime. It is a pain to manually load large textures but it works. Hopefully this will be automatic very soon. Apparently what you and I do, loading non-sculpted/externally created, objects with many UV maps already created, is not as common as I thought. But 3DCoat's painting is so good that even if you have existing assets, you can edit or changed them beautifully and we want to load them into the Paint room!

hope this helps. :)

I realize that this is quite an old thread, but thank you for posting this work around. I was trying to paint on a multi uv tile model with per pixel/deep displacement, and it would crash on import (version 4.1.09C). The only option that worked without the workaround was multi-vertex painting, and I ended up using that.