3DCoat Forums

Farsthary update channel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi :)

@AbnRanger:  Not quite there yet ;)

Instead physically based, non overlapping, non intersecting shell or thicken tool

http://farsthary.wordpress.com/2013/11/29/2444/

And updated CopyClay (mesh mixing) in LC tools

http://farsthary.wordpress.com/2013/11/29/copyclay-test-2/

All detail made ffrom copying and pasting the box corner itself :)

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Hi :)

@AbnRanger:  Not quite there yet ;)

Instead physically based, non overlapping, non intersecting shell or thicken tool

http://farsthary.wordpress.com/2013/11/29/2444/

And updated CopyClay (mesh mixing) in LC tools

http://farsthary.wordpress.com/2013/11/29/copyclay-test-2/

All detail made ffrom copying and pasting the box corner itself :)

I was just teasing. Both of those look very promising. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello! I love your tools but i found some issues:

- LiveClay has artifacts when I substract some objects.

http://3d-coat.com:8081/mantis/view.php?id=1392

- Base mesh has distortion. I tested blender and 3dcoat.

http://3d-coat.com:8081/mantis/view.php?id=1393

Thanks.

Edited by mifth

• 3 months later...

http://farsthary.wordpress.com/

Hi guys!

Long time without posting! yes, mainly due to internal work that realy is not worth to publicly comment but not for being internal is less interesting and important.

At least to me and 3DCoat and also the fact im in Cuba again :P
Finally CopyClay is getting to its goal. many new features has being added and others got a major overhaul and improvement!

Hope you like it!

a bit off topic, but cuba has internet access? i was not aware. can you elaborate?

I've always been intrigued by Cuba.

From what I understand they do but it's not very fast or reliable. My best friend's girlfriend is from Cuba and she still talks to her family there a lot but most of them know very little about computers.

Hi All

Some weeks ago I got a pretty interesting mantis bug repport about LiveClay couldn’t correctly handle long stretched triangles. I’ve develop for current LC tools a very advanced splits triangle criterias that ensure we always get nice triangulation, nice topology and nice valence on the mesh, in a very organic like way.
Also 3DCoat almost always deals with high density meshes so I never saw the artit use cases dealing with such ill formed triangles…it turns out it was more common that I initially tougth!
Any low poly model imported from every general purpose 3dpackage can have such triangles and in furniture modeling those are everywhere, so yes, hard surface low density meshes was a missing spot for LC tools.

desktop.jpg?w=690&h=431

The largest edge split triangle will allow to split ill or long stretched triangles in a correct way for the sculpt tools.

And the solution was the simplest split criteria: split only the longest edge of a face. It will always subdivide ill triangles in a way they become tractables latter, something was not happen with previous criteria, but ofcourse a tradeoff must be made, between nice topology and stroke preserving shape. So former advanced split criteria will still be the best when mesh density is relatively high compared to the brush size or mesh is organic.

Summarizing, there´s now two options for split faces: Soft (previous advanced algorithm for organic or dense meshes that keeps nice topology/geometry ) and Hard (new algorithm for keep hard edges and preserve as much geometry as possible at the cost of topology quality)

Cheers!

desktop2.jpg?w=690&h=217

Soft split is the previous advanced split algorithm while Hard is the new split for hard surfaces or stretced triangles

• Advanced Member

Hi carlosan.

I assume old tesselation is used on left stroke and new one is right stroke, right?

While the old 'advanced' one looks better in shaded view, in wireframe it is not even. I always thought it was some bug or something, that prevented 3dc from having nice, even triangulated mesh like in sculptris or blender. It is a problem when I try to smooht mesh, because with that kind of topology, smoothing brush is useless. See below - variation in mesh density causes uneven smoothing. I was always dealing with it using trim or polish brushes. 

Also note - the very first dab below has nice even triangulation, and then everything get nasty uneven mesh geo.

NotSooGoodTriangulation.jpg

• Like 1

http://farsthary.wordpress.com/2014/05/15/quickpose-tool/

Hi

Here’s the first test of QuickPose tool, a surprise tool I was working on. As its name points, is a tool aimed for quick and dirty posing and transforming a selected region from a mesh. It turns an area into a rubber like material so all transformation are nicely propagated to the vertices in a physical way.

Sometimes you don´t need  complex setup just for bending few parts from a model :)

Under the hood it performs complex implicit representation of the mesh and store its diferential coordinates in order to preserve high frecuency detail when the mesh is deformed.

Still is subject to further optimization and interface change, particularily I need to add support for pose rotations so stay tunned!

Cheers

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

http://farsthary.wordpress.com/2014/05/15/quickpose-tool/

Hi

Here’s the first test of QuickPose tool, a surprise tool I was working on. As its name points, is a tool aimed for quick and dirty posing and transforming a selected region from a mesh. It turns an area into a rubber like material so all transformation are nicely propagated to the vertices in a physical way.

Sometimes you don´t need  complex setup just for bending few parts from a model :)

Under the hood it performs complex implicit representation of the mesh and store its diferential coordinates in order to preserve high frecuency detail when the mesh is deformed.

Still is subject to further optimization and interface change, particularily I need to add support for pose rotations so stay tunned!

Cheers

This looks absolutely amazing!! Keep up the great work, can't wait to use this tool :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Working over few bugs in Bridge I realize that not always we need such a high resolution in bridging detail provided by the automatic splitting algorithm implemented in it.
And the fact that in most cases tunnels are hidden from the actual models it can be good to fine tune its detail level so it can be less or perhaps more?, because there’s everything in this world :P

So I add a slider to control that possibility if user wants too, but the default will be the automatic detail estimation.

factor-2.jpg?w=690&h=422 default-automatic-factor-1.jpg?w=690&h=4 factor-0-5.jpg?w=690&h=428 factor-0-25.jpg?w=690&h=415

CopyClay Laplacian Bending

http://farsthary.wordpress.com/2014/05/15/copyclay-laplacian-bending/

For CopyClay I´ve actively researched several bending algorithm. Making the parts seamless blend with the base mesh is far from trivial, and many algorithms can be used. A membrane based algorithm was first develop, which strored an offest from an ideal membrane for each vertex, it turned out not very robust and limited.
Then I cam up with an iterative, spring elastic algorithm that perform quite good and moreover, is fast. For most cases is the default.
It has the limitation that for parts that required extreme bending over mesh, it requires a lot of iterations and thus, become slow and non optimal.

So finally I’ve implemented a laplacian iteration-free method, completely based on linear system solution,wich has many advantages over previous one: it provides the best bending algorithm altough is not as fast as few iterations on Elastic method) but for best quality is unmatched!
It accurately bend the part over the surface because in theory is the convergence mesh of the elastic method at unlimited iterations.

Strong smoothing

Hi

Smoothing algorithm seems to be a never ending source of inspiration. There´s probably as much smoothing algorithm as there´s researchers out there!
So far 3dCoat has a plenty of smoothing tools, but nearly all of them suffered when mesh density is high or varies a lot across a surface.

Every artist know this when a small dense area rebels against a smoothing eefort. We have tools like recently developed like Smoother, that ideally smooth a painted area, useful for pre-planned smoothing. Or powerfull smoothing, that performs a more aggressive smoothing but still suffers from the curse of the high numbers.

well, Now i have added to TSmooth a third algorithm:  Strong smoothing.  it will always smooth the mesh under the pen regardless the base geometry, and vene better, in a consistent way!

So be careful smoothing with this tool because it can obliterate the most stubborn details!

hope you like it!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

This is a small but important revamp for FillHoles tool. Completely changed its behaviour to allow more consistent holes boudary treatment. previously all actions where applied at the end of click.
Now holes are saved and different actions are applied one by one at user choice.

Also solved an important bug in Contour smoothing causing the contour to sligthly rotate in each iteration. now it behaves at should be.

fillholes.jpg?w=690&h=477
fillholes-precise.jpg?w=690&h=480

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Proportional Inflate

This is a new development of the traditional Inflate tool, is matrix based, global apporach that will provide better inflation over previous approach, it will inflate according to the laplacian of the mesh, so will be proportional and will avoid as much as possible self intersections.

Here I show different new features of FilHoles tool , especially contour selection modes:

- Automatic, will select all contours passing tough the pen influence zone.
- Partial, will select a part of a given contour, starting and end point. useful for cosing and processing very complex countours/holes where fully automatic method is almost impossible to get.
- Manual, Is the most powerful selection tool since it allows full freedom, including merging multiple loops.

I agree move topological functionality would be great, however the deeper functionality of how move topological works through brush auto masking is the functionality that should be studied, copied and built upon. Smooth peaks, smooth valleys, move topological and many others all come from the same base technology and can all be deeply customized.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Hi guys!

Please, elaborate a bit more how Move Topology works?

Cheers

And yes, internet here in Cuba sucks :(

its a move brush that somehow grab topology continuity instead of grabbing everything within a said radius/sphere.

For example if I were to use Move Topology on a finger it would avoid moving the other fingers of the hand.

Of course brush radius is still relevant but it seems mesh continuity prevail in what is affected or not within the brush radius.

• Contributor
its a move brush that somehow grab topology continuity instead of grabbing everything within a said radius/sphere.

For example if I were to use Move Topology on a finger it would avoid moving the other fingers of the hand.

Of course brush radius is still relevant but it seems mesh continuity prevail in what is affected or not within the brush radius.

Also the Magnify brush in Zbrush seems to work similarly. It inflates the surface around the entire finger instead of just the area of the finger where you brush.

Raul recently made a video about a new proportional inflate brush. I think that brush can be easily changed to be like the Magnify brush in Zbrush. (If you brush on the top of a finger, the whole finger swells up, instead of just the top of the finger where you brushed. And if that finger could be inflated without affecting the other fingers, that would be wonderful!)