3DCoat Forums

Controlling Symmetry

Tony Nemo

• Contributor

post-1430-0-34285000-1346359543_thumb.pn In this volume, the plane is centered as it should be.

post-1430-0-38354600-1346359614_thumb.pn Here is my problem, the plane is off center and no "Reset" or tab has any effect. The work around I came up with (if I have to) is to export an autopo model and re-import it for voxels, hoping the program will be fooled into putting the plane in the center.

Anything known about this issue will be gratefully received.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Having a nightmare at the moment! I've got two objects on two layers....for the life of me I can not center the sym planes. I line one up...go to the other layer and line that one up,then go back to the other layer and now that ones moved. Seems the lock option is for all layers.I wish I could lock individual layers.Ive tried the RMB Global space thingy and the one under it. When I make a new primitive and switch on sym it nowhere near. Im about to swear REALLY loudly.

• 8 months later...
  • Advanced Member

I have also a problem, it is clear, how can we move the plane, now I did in my new model rotate my model, but the problem is, the symetry plane did rotate also :( how can I rotate the symetry plane or reset that along to the world axis?

My Solution: I copied that into a new voxel layer

Edited by Monkeybrain

• Reputable Contributor

I have discussed this in e-mail a little with Andrew several months ago.

Right now in 3DCoat it is best never, never to have to move the symmetry plane... ouch.

Even if you could move it from layer to layer, The voxel room is local space and the retopo room is world space.

When you went to retopo your voxel object the symmetry plane will line up with world space not your local voxel's object's local symmetry plane.

Resampling at this time too will move your symmetry back to where it was... another ouch...

I ask Andrew if he could make the retopo room local space as well but he replied at that time he could not figure out a way to do. Andrew did not go into detail.

Now if Andrew could make the retopo room local space and make symmetry adjustments per object and layer then we would be in Heaven but now if you move the symmetry plane you are in the other place in a number of cases.

The fixes under the vox tree tab do not work in all situations...

• Advanced Member

I find that the To Global Space doesn't always work. I export the voxel mesh, open it in another program, reset the pivot point where I want it and then import it back in.

The other reason this is a problem is that setting the axis to global space is always the desired effect, even if it resets the symmetry plane. Suppose you don't want the axis of that object in the center of the grid?

Edited by alvordr