3DCoat Forums

Dual monitor support

Yearoftheox

• Advanced Member

I use 3DC reasonably well on dual monitors, with the exception of a bug where zooming becomes awkward/unintuitive.

I just stretch the window across both screens and have the viewport on the left and all menus out and docked on the right.

This is Linux, not sure if it's different on other platforms.

Cheers,

Peter B

I haven't seen a thread about this, (i'm sure someones probably mentioned this before in a thread), but dual monitor support would be great. being able to dock say the texture editor on another screen, or having the uv preview, shader menu, on another screen, would clear up the interface.

• Advanced Member

I use 3DC reasonably well on dual monitors, with the exception of a bug where zooming becomes awkward/unintuitive.

I just stretch the window across both screens and have the viewport on the left and all menus out and docked on the right.

This is Linux, not sure if it's different on other platforms.

One can do that on Windows as well, but this does not replace true Dual-Viewports

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Has this topic come up again, either for conversation or as a comment from Andrew?

I am getting back into 3DC after a bit of an absence. I have 20 educational licenses of which none were able to be used this past year because the school computers are not powerful enough. I am learning 3DC this summer as part of my preparing for creation of a curriculum for my school.

I am rambling. I know. But I am finding the program to be pleasantly... spastic. ;)

I am going for either dual monitors all around or widescreen monitors; either way, the interface gets quite dissonant with all the panels crisscrossing the creative canvas.

Should someone know that tear-off menus has been implemented, please let me know. Otherwise, add my voice to the ability of separating panels from the canvas space.

My thought on this:

Give us the ability to group panels into a stacked and orderly fashion as you have on the right side of 3dc should someone place a panel there. In that way, once panels are place together, they 'magnetically' snap to each other, creating tabbed sections, in a free-floating panel. I can provide a visual if it would help the idea come to fruition.

It's been wished several times before.

Andrew however says that it would be very difficult to accomplish...

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I think this topic is very relevant.I am a professionel 3d artist and use many high end programs,Max Photoshop etc and all these programs windows can be dragged across multiple displays.Please this would be a very welcome feature.

I have to agree with this point as I run a small business with 2 artists. They both use dual monitors and wish 3D-Coat supported them. The program can be dragged across 2 monitors but that does cause a few other problems.

I beleive that for the next major version 4.0 for example, Serious consideration should be given to dual screen support despite the difficulties involved in accomplishing this. I only say this because dual screen is a very common setup for professional artists. I do also understand that there is a lot of work involved in this and that pushing it too quickly could cause an avalanche of other bugs for many users.

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

It's been wished several times before.

Andrew however says that it would be very difficult to accomplish...

In all justice to Andrew neither Mudbox nor Zbrush can do this either. I think the compromises inherent in OpenGL and a resolution of millions of polys sort of hampers just what programers can do in implementing this kind of functionality.

• 2 years later...

Hi
I am a new 3DC user. Previously, I worked in Zbrush, but its way of handling and cluttered interface rejected me for good. 3DC is much more intuitive, but work on multiple monitors would be a great convenience, to which we have become accustomed by other CG programs. I join users who hope that Andrew will hear our voice, and solve the problem as the first in this type of application. Regards.

• Advanced Member

how do you guys use a tablet on 2 screens? with regular apps dual screen make sense, but in 3d coat you're mostly painting and sculpting, switching screens with a tablet is a pain..

Hmm, I use two regular screens and a Cintiq and don't see problems with monitor switching on multimonitor enabled apps like Photoshop.One can declare several monitors

to be logically just one for the Tablet or simply hop from one to the other without even moving the hand – faster than with the mouse.