3DCoat Forums

retopology and symmetry

wilson66

• Advanced Member

I'm working on a model that I have built to test the 3DCoat -> Modo VRay workflow.

Apart from the fact that 3DCoat destroyed one of the iterations of the model so I had to go back to an earlier version...

missing_polys.png

(suddenly missing polygons, they are not hidden but there is actually a very large, irregularly shaped hole in the model after saving and re-opening the file)

... I have a question concerning retopology and symmetry. I don't really know how to work with it correctly, or there are some quirks with it.

I retopologized one half of my model with activated symmetry. Works great, except for the vertices that lie on the symmetry plane.

First question: to create the final, symmetrical geometry, I need to click the Commands -> Symmetry button. Right?

Second question: When I move the vertices at the symmetry plane apart again using the brush tool, it looks like additional, unwanted polygons have been created. Take a look at the screenshots:

retopo_sym.png