3DCoat Forums

Color Matching In 3D-Coat

Tony Nemo

• Contributor

Many times I have wished that the color I select with the Eye Dropper was the same as the one I apply with the Paint brush.

post-1430-0-83803600-1408989423_thumb.pn

Unfortunately, this is never the case:

post-1430-0-31391500-1408989480_thumb.pn

What do others do when trying to match colors? Trial and error is so time consuming.

Edited by Tony Nemo

• Contributor

Thats because the shader of your model have to be baked, too.

And every shader have a different shading setup, and this gets multiplied after baking at your model.

The default shader have the best baking behavior. There are only 1-2 points in RGB difference.

If you dont need your baked shader in your textures, delete the "Multiply" layers or hide it until you are done with painting.

• Advanced Member

I dont pretend to understand layer blend modes . But everything I bake usually arrives "Multilplied" I just go through each layer and change it to "standard"  So is this baking the shader that does this? I sculpt and bake using the clay depth picmat shader.  It took me ages to notice this, When I first started with coat I was exporting my painted models with multiplied paint jobs! Then in Carrara I was having to boost my lights to 300 percent .....doh!

• Contributor

The "default shader" must be the one used when no shader is selected?

There's always a shader selected. If you haven't assigned a shader to a volume, then whatever shader you have chosen with Select default shader will be used. In short - whatever shader you see your volumes currently use.

I always ditch those generated paint layers right before I start painting - to avoid surprises later.