3DCoat Forums

symmetry and curves tool question

wilson66

• Advanced Member

When I want to create an object using the Curves tool with symmetry active, and the curves intersect at the symmetry plane, I get the following error message when trying to apply the tool:

symmetry.png

How are you supposed to create a perfectly symmetrical object using the curves tool when the curve is created more or less exactly on the symmetry plane? To extend an object where the extension needs to be created exactly on the symmetry plane?

This kind of intersection should not trigger an error message like this in my opinion, makes no sense to me.

Edited by wilson66

• Advanced Member

The curves tool works with symmetry fine for me. Perhaps you are ignoring point 3 of the error message where it talks about a the spline being too curved and thus creating self-intersections? There's definitely something very weird going on in your screenshot. Looks like I'm seeing quadruple. I'm not just referring to mesh-on-mesh action, but look at your red spheres, odd artifacts, almost as if there are multiple red spheres in similar locations,

I've included an image of curves working fine with symmetry just for proof.

post-28483-0-72568600-1408724409_thumb.j

• Contributor

I highly recoomend to use Cut-Off,Curves,Snake tool and do any sorts of boolean in Voxel mode instead of Surface mode

Voxel mode does not give any of that self-intersection crap i totally got tired of ....its also much faster. :)

So I do all my sculpting in SF mode but do the operations mentionned above in voxel mode.

Voxel mode is a lot like dynamesh ,you need to set high resolution to capture more details if needed

but the best is do those operations when the objects are still in  the 500k-2 mil range...