3DCoat Forums

Garagarape sketchbook

Garagarape

• Advanced Member

Thanks Wave of light and Michalis.

I'm happy to build something in 3dCoat again. It's been a while since I didn't

use the application; so there's plenty of new things that I don't handle well in the new tools.

As allways, I do this character in a rather classic way.

I admire people like you allways trying new workflows.

I only try to solve problems when the pc capacity is overwhelmed. Not enough to find

revolutionnary and astonishing way to produce CG...

Those Artists productions links you pasted in your thread Michalis, wow! That's a slam in

the face! Very inspiring just as your space donut. I just didn't understand if it was possible

to render a mesh with displacement map on it in 3dCoat. When my Dragon will be done,

I'll try to stop producing for a while and will focus on learning new tools and finding out

where the new functions are in the menus. Learning new techniques would surely be good

for I'm always using the classic NM+Color map+Specular way...

• Advanced Member

You're interested on an export to a VG engine. You're doing it just fine.

Other render engines, more movie oriented, are different. But same principles, always. A good retopo always helps.

Displacement maps are not as forgiving as normal maps are. For sure.

• Advanced Member

Yes, I sent him a couple of screencasts and they have solved all the issues.

As for Thing - did a test rig in LightWave but found some mesh and normal map issues, so today I've been fixing areas and upping the detail. However this seems to have stopped in from being able to merge for PPP... just giving it another go as we type. Want to get on with texturing now.

• Advanced Member

Nice, shame about some of the issues.

I'd noticed these with my model, so I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

1. I manually fixed the spiked poly areas in the tweak room, but I was lucky because they were on the inside of the eye socket, so I could get away with it. And the reason I did that, was because it took ages to bake and produce the maps. So my second question is:

2. How long did it take to merge the maps to the paint room (it was like 25mins on my Thing sculpt). My system specs are in my sig.

Cheers,

Ricky.

• Advanced Member

Wave of Light,

I didn't do the baking in 3d-Coat this time. I used X-normal wich did the trick

by baking the seven parts of the dragon all at once (couldn't do it in 3dC, lack of memory I was told).

The AO baking was more difficult; had to repeat seven baking on the low for each high model parts...

You seem to have a good machine, fast enough for baking in 3dC. 25mins seems very long.

I just don't understand why it took so long. How many polys in your retopo model, how many for your voxel thing?

The stains you often get when baking are not errors or bugs of the application.

It is sometime impossible to calculate correctly tight spaces folds with sharp angles.

You can do nothing against that except baking separately areas that are too close to each other.

I'm lazy, so most of the time I fix it in Photoshop or 3dCoat paint room...

I hope you'll get your answer about your problem.

The dragon head you can see on pic #542 was baked in about 20 seconds.

It is the only hint I can give you at the moment.

• Advanced Member

Thanks guys, I hate asking questions about my personal projects in someone else's thread. There is definitely a problem by the looks of it, so I will post an example in my Thing thread.

Cheers,

Ricky.