3DCoat Forums
  1. General

1. Announcements

This area contains official announcements from the Pilgway team

3. New Releases, Bugs Reports & Development Discussion

This is a section of the forum specifically for final and beta releases and discussing new developments. Also to report any new bug found.

1. General 3DCoat

Discussions related to 3DCoat, and also share ideas for improving the program.

SDK, scripts & plugins development. If you want to create or share custom scripts & plugin(s) for 3DCoat, you can find the information here to do so.

3. SOS! If you need urgent help for 3DCoat

Any urgent matter that needs to be dealt with as soon as possible

1. CG & Hardware Discussion

CG meeting area. General Discussion, News, films, games discussions, etc.

Have a Brush, Stencils, Smart Materials, Shaders, Extension, etc. you'd like to share ?
      Post it here !

1. 274

• Hi, i'm working on a model of about 200.000 triangles (mid poly size) and I don't want (and need) to reduce the poly count as i'll use it in UE5 with nanite enabled. I know i can import it in the paint room with no problems and make UV there but i need too the modeling tools of the retopo room. I've tried to import it directly in the retopo room, it notifies me that it has more than 50.000 triangles. It works but the workflow is quite slow. One day will the retopo room be merged with the paint room so it will be easy to work there with medium poly meshes too?   thanks Samuele
    • but its not what 3dcoat is about ... 3dcoat is for creation , the stage 1-3 of creation the rendering and animation is else where ... implementing this sort of thing would take ages(animation) the render engine again im not too fussed , i prefer alot of outsie engines like marmoset toolbag / unreal engine 5 however to use renderman,octane or vray ... these are paid for ... the can implement them but not give them away for free   to be fair unreal engine is so close now and produces real time results too .. what more do you need?
    • If that's the case, it would be incredible.  Sign me up.
    • it would use the exact same method used by zbrush , zmodeller has hundreds of tools in their right click menu, it would jsut save constantly moving from one room to another , for ease of use for new people or people who like to work in one room ...
    • Yeah I'm definitely not a fan of the 4 different types of meshes. Problem is how can one organize the UI in a way where the tools are not scattered all over the place. Just looking in the modeling room, the left tool panel is filled to the brim. Combining that with sculpt tools may be problematic. Maybe keep the separate rooms, but make it easier to manipulate meshes between rooms?
    • The UI will be divided for the foreseeable future because the code base is not something you can totally replace overnight. The workspaces are there for different stages of a typical studio pipeline and thus, I see no major problem with it. Some consolidation of a few workspaces, yes, but from what I understand it would take way too much development time for too little benefit....when there are hundreds of standing user requests for other features. Andrew has already done a LOT to improve the UI and there is more to come, but it will be an ongoing, incremental effort of improvement rather than a major overhaul.
    • can you remove modelling room and retopo room and have all meshes inside sculpt room , and have modelling and retopology tools as a separate tool , with that the right click would be a pie menu with the selection type at the top like vertex,edge,face then below would be the tool you wish to use , the right side could have the current right click menu where you can relax,clear points etc and left side left clear for quickmenus maybe? the mesh could be saved as P for polygroups ... and once youve modelled something you can then voxelize it or go into surface mode where SUBD would work nicely having these in one room just saves the hassle and tidies up and simplifies things   
    • why does the ui need a major makeover in order for an upgrade? ... if you can use 3dcoat that should matter .. the ui would bring in alot of new custom but at the minute its not massively important , you are right about the modelling room though 100%%%% hopefully they can work with a polygon modeller and have a good workflow
    • I see you guys are still working hard on this amazing tool, you added some black magic level of functionality its truly amazing. no other program have this features. personally i dont need them but i can appreciate the innovation.   I came to see how is the development doing, i see that none of my suggestions has been adopted. UI is still divided, modeling room still require two times the clicks to do the same operations compared to maya or blender or modo. still have a separated select tool for some reason and no major tools that are using context sensitive approach.  UI is still designed with a lot of text and its still a major problem in the smart materials workflow  For now I continue with my 2022 version for sculpting and auto retopo, its still amazing for that. i love it.  But I still wont upgrade until the UX will go thru a major makeover. sorry guys .. 
    • 3dcoat的相机 有没有办法对齐一个斜面呢?
    • Yes, also MOI have that option. I asked Andrew recently to add that feature. If you are interested, it would be good to send him a feature request.  
    • Thanks for the info, but the question I raised isn't really about alternative OpenSource render engines. It's about integration of a major render engine that everyone knows well. This company also has a separate real time render engine. Perhaps that could be the one that gets integrated, instead. As for the work on the current render engine, I think that was shelved while the developer is working on something else.
    • Something built with Godot is another option. It was my understanding that a render engine was in the works for 3D Coat, what is the progress on that?  Has it been shelved?
    • It would be awesome.  I would settle for something like a realtime Sketchfab integration though. Which is actually something that could be easily achieved using Babylonjs which is a free open source webgl/webgpu game and rendering framework.  It's basically Sketchfab, but free and with real interaction if you want to do some coding. https://editor.babylonjs.com/ - an electron based editor for Babylonjs made by someone in the community https://doc.babylonjs.com/features/featuresDeepDive/postProcesses - about Babylonjs render pipeline https://playground.babylonjs.com/#Y3C0HQ#146 - a Sketchfab style demo complete with post process fx that is easily integrated in a webpage for free.