3DCoat Forums

Optimizing PC for 3D Coat use

DieizzyeiD

Hi Everyone! My name is Israel and Im new to 3D Coat software. My question is on how to set up my preferences in 3D coat for the best results. I have a AMD FX6100 six core processor and 16GB of ram. I have 600 hrz Power supply and 72 rpm HDD and My Video card  specs are as noted

AMD RADEON™ 
HD 6770 GPUENGINE CLOCKUp to 850MHzMEMORY512MB or 1GB DDR3 or GDDR5MEMORY CLOCK1200MHzMEMORY BANDWIDTH76.8 GB/s (maximum)SINGLE PRECISION COMPUTE POWER1.36 TFLOPsTERASCALE 2 UNIFIED PROCESSING ARCHITECTURE
  • 800 Stream Processors
  • 40 Texture Units
  • 64 Z/Stencil ROP Units
  • 16 Color ROP Units
BUS INTERFACEPCI Express 2.1 x16OPENGL 4.1 SUPPORTYesIMAGE QUALITY ENHANCEMENT TECHNOLOGY
  • Up to 24x multi-sample and super-sample anti-aliasing modes
  • Adaptive anti-aliasing
  • 16x angle independent anisotropic texture filtering
  • 128-bit floating point HDR rendering
CUTTING-EDGE INTEGRATED DISPLAY SUPPORT
  • Integrated DisplayPort Output
    • Max resolution: 2560x1600 per display
  • HDMI® (With 3D, Deep Color and x.v.Color™)
    • Max resolution: 1920x1200
  • Integrated Dual-link DVI with HDCP
    • Max resolution: 2560x1600
  • Integrated VGA
    • Max resolution: 2048x1536
INTEGRATED HD AUDIO CONTROLLER
  • Output protected high bit rate 7.1 channel surround sound over HDMI or DisplayPort with no additional cables required
  • Supports AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats
AMD TECHNOLOGIES

AMD Eyefinity multidisplay technology2

• Native support for up to 5 simultaneous displays
  • Independent resolutions, refresh rates, color controls and video overlays
  • Display grouping
    • Combine multiple displays to behave like a single large display

AMD App Acceleration3

• OpenCL 1.1 Support
  • DirectCompute 11
  • Accelerated video encoding, transcoding and upscaling
  • UVD 2 dedicated video playback accelerator
    • H.264
    • VC-1
    • MPEG-2
    • H.264 MVC (Blu-ray 3D)5
    • Adobe Flash
  • Enhanced Video Quality features
    • Advanced post-processing and scaling
    • Dynamic contrast enhancement and color correction
    • Brighter whites processing (Blue Stretch)
    • Independent video gamma control
    • Dynamic video range control
  • Dual-stream HD (1080p) playback support
  • DXVA 1.0 & 2.0 support

AMD HD3D technology5

• Stereoscopic 3D display/glasses support
  • Blu-ray 3D support
  • Stereoscopic 3D gaming
  • 3rd party Stereoscopic 3D middleware software support

AMD CrossFire™ multi-GPU technology6

• Dual GPU scaling

AMD PowerPlay™ power management technology4

• Dynamic power management with low power idle state
  • Ultra-low power state support for multi-GPU configurations

AMD Catalyst™ software and HD video configuration software

• Unified graphics display drivers
    • Certified for Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP
  • AMD CatalystTM Control Center
  • Software application and user interface for setup, configuration and accessing special features of AMD Radeon products.

Any help is very much appreciated and thank you in advance! 

• Advanced Member

if you want to optimize your PC for 3DC (you might not have to, depends on what you want to do with 3DC... got it running fine on an ancient Intel iGPU, as long as I keep my voxel resolutions low enough so that only max 10 million tris are visible at the same time), you should look at upgrading your GPU.

Generally, Nvidia Cards are a little bit better for 3DC than AMD, because you can then use the CUDA build of 3DC (which makes some brushes and other operations faster as soon as you work with bigger brushes, as these operations get offloaded to the GPU).

3DC is depending quite a lot on your VRAM size, at least n the Voxel Room, so no matter if you switch to a Nvidia GPU or stay with AMD, see that you can get at least 2G of VRAM (which even some midrange cards have nowadays), the more the better (I switched to a GTX 970 because my GTX 580 VRAM was getting too small last year myself... quite ironic that Nvidia lied about the "true" VRAM size and I only got 3.5G, but still much more than the 1.5G I had before).

Maybe see if you can get an old GTX 770 for a good price, or if you can spend more, the GTX 780 (and the Ti version) have come down in prices lately and are still beasts. And there are 6G VRAM version of the GTX 780, if you want to get yourself all the VRAM and CUDA Power you gonna need for the next few years.

If you can get one, the GTX 580 is still very relevant for 3DC. It is actually slightly faster in 3DC than my current GTX 970, maybe because from the 6XX generation the Nvidia Gaming cards have been "castrated" in the Computing power because floating point operations run much slower than on the Nvidia Pro cards. Don't know if this really has an influence on 3DC speeds, but for me, I only got more VRAM from my upgrade, the FPS in 3DC is still the same or slightly worse.

RAM looks good to me, and the processor should be sufficient (not the fastest CPU in the world, but I ran it on an old mobile Intel chip without problems really).

Again, only look into upgrading the CPU, if you REALLY cannot do what you try to do with 3DC with your current setup. And first look into the GPU, seems to be the more important component for 3DC.

Edited by Gian-Reto