3DCoat Forums

Garagarape sketchbook

Garagarape

• Advanced Member

I hear what you're saying. I have a demo reel I've had to work on with my own work, because I'm being told to, not because I want to. This is something I would dump as soon as I'm done with it, but I still have to do it. They were saying for me to take out some stuff I put in and, in this case, I'm keeping it in, as I know exactly why I wanted it there. This was one of the few times where I put my foot down on something I knew was a better decision, but otherwise, I usually heed the advice.

• Contributor

Tony, animation is so complicated these days. There's no limit, but so much to learn.

Did you had a look at this video?:

http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/siggraph_2013_tech_papers

All that looks way beyond my beans and taters! I do like that one where the vegetation is singled out for movement with a stroke.

Edited by Tony Nemo

• Reputable Contributor

Yes, those foliage stuff are great. I like the fluid simulation too.

All that looks way beyond my beans and taters! > Way beyond my tomatoes and peppers too. But interesting to see new technologies.

I am really digging that dragon scene. :good: If I may make one tiny suggestion on the pose....I would always keep his front limbs in a bent state, to one degree or another. As a quadruped raises up, their front legs tend to drop, with their elbows near their rib cage. And as far as lighting, just an idea....not a suggestion...how about a tiny bit of fog in the scene, to emulate dust (that a big beast like that would naturally kick up) and volumetric light instead of a spot or area light...shining some god-rays from behind him. That might add a much more dramatic effect to the look.

• Contributor

I am really digging that dragon scene. :good: If I may make one tiny suggestion on the pose....I would always keep his front limbs in a bent state, to one degree or another. As a quadruped raises up, their front legs tend to drop, with their elbows near their rib cage. And as far as lighting, just an idea....not a suggestion...how about a tiny bit of fog in the scene, to emulate dust (that a big beast like that would naturally kick up) and volumetric light instead of a spot or area light...shining some god-rays from behind him. That might add a much more dramatic effect to the look.

He will probably beg to be let go of his dragon as it may take on the quality of a millstone around his neck. Your suggestions are admirable and I, for one, will keep them in mind should I find myself working with a quadruped (oh, I am: a bunch of camels in my current animation!). Thanks!

• Advanced Member

Thanks everybody!

Thanks for the advices AbnRanger. Yes you're right about pose and volumetric light + fog.

Unfortunately my skills in rendering are limited. And I always use Marmoset Toolbag to avoid

having to do tremendous efforts on the rendering. In the end... I lose against people

who mastered this domain. I often try to learn something (dowloaded V-ray for Maya, tried to learn about hatch-cross shader and stuff)

but then I realize I know almost nothing and don't do it right...

Well, at least I'll try to improve (don't know how yet) on the final result of the next work.

It will be a fighter from "Macross" ---> Wan't to see what I can do with hard surface type.

Any advices welcome about improving on rendering. But I know I have to find motivation (and time!) first.

If there is an app or a tutorial that are great to start with, please let me know.

Cheers!

• Reputable Contributor

Maybe let Michalis walk you through a Blender Cycles setup. Don't get me wrong. I like the way it's looking. The SyFy channel here in the US would be envious of that dragon :) They have a lot of low budget shows with creatures as the centerpiece of the whole story, and I have yet to see them use one this well done. Since you have it rigged, You might look them up and ask them if they could use it. They do have some fairly good shows with decent VFX...like BattleStar Galactica (discontinued but ran for like 5yrs or more) and a new one, "Defiance."

http://www.syfy.com/

• Advanced Member

@Abn

If you want to ask for any help on cycles, please use PM.

Or we could start, a dedicated to this subject, thread.

A fine render engine, a physically correct one. Not the appropriate for videogame applications.

• Reputable Contributor

@Abn

If you want to ask for any help on cycles, please use PM.

Or we could start, a dedicated to this subject, thread.

A fine render engine, a physically correct one. Not the appropriate for videogame applications.

A little 3D Coat to Blender (Cycles Renderer, and basic material/shader/lighting setup) Bootcamp would be great. :good: You and Digman can be the Drill Seargents. :D

"What do we have here...a Jelly Doughnut?"

• Advanced Member

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the SyFy idea (dragon is not properly rigged, only skinned, but why not),

and for the idea of a good tutorial made by team-3dCoat too!

"Are you ready for a Rendering training?!"

"Sir yes Sir!"

Besides, I pomise I will eat tons of Jelly Doughnuts, and Jelly torus, and free form Jelly.

Prepare for push-ups!

• Advanced Member

Could it be made so that no previous knowledge is needed?. I am keeping an eye on blender for many years now but haven't started.

Now, this is more complicated. I don't think 3dcoat is the appropriate forum.

You're asking for a blender tutorial, the basic UI. Setting custom preferences and basic navigation, set cameras, split windows. I could add some nice links.

• Advanced Member

Yes Michalis,

Some nice links would be a good start.

I've heard off Cycles and saw the great results you got with it,

but don't even know if it's a part of Blender or something you have to pay for like Vray in Maya.

I once opened Blender but was puzzled by the UI. I'm also puzzled by Mudbox now that I'm used to 3dC (Had to make a comparative study

of 3dCoat and Mudbox to convince my boss to upgrade the 3dCoat licences we use at work).

Anyway, if you have time, some links to start learning + some tips in the "off topics" or even in my thread

would help a lot. Probably "Off topic" is better to share informations.

And it's only if you have time to do it, of course. Thanks!

Edited by Garagarape

• Advanced Member

Hey, everything comes from the blender foundation is free. (donations only)

Cycles is the new, modern, integrated render engine. There is also the old one (scan line) BI.

This is my idea. A step by step import of 3dcoat, setup a workable environment, setup a scene, light it. Set up the cycles shaders and camera. Render.

Later we can talk about rigging and simple animation-set a pose.

Blender is a huge suite, we can't talk on everything.

• Reputable Contributor

Hey, everything comes from the blender foundation is free. (donations only)

Cycles is the new, modern, integrated render engine. There is also the old one (scan line) BI.

This is my idea. A step by step import of 3dcoat, setup a workable environment, setup a scene, light it. Set up the cycles shaders and camera. Render.

Later we can talk about rigging and simple animation-set a pose.

Blender is a huge suite, we can't talk on everything.

As I stated in the other thread, you can just refer to the basic tutorials for users to get up to speed enough to be comfortable. This would not be a basics in Blender tutorial series. It would be just like a demonstration at Siggraph...just go through the steps and let the viewers decide where they need further training.

What I'd like to see is a tutorial by one of the Blender artists, setting up Garagarape's Dragon to blow some fire. It looked like there were some recent improvements in Blender's smoke/fire sim engine.

• Advanced Member

As I stated in the other thread, you can just refer to the basic tutorials for users to get up to speed enough to be comfortable. This would not be a basics in Blender tutorial series. It would be just like a demonstration at Siggraph...just go through the steps and let the viewers decide where they need further training.

What I'd like to see is a tutorial by one of the Blender artists, setting up Garagarape's Dragon to blow some fire. It looked like there were some recent improvements in Blender's smoke/fire sim engine.

I'll see if I can put the dragon somewhere in order to be downloaded during next week-end (but it is not perfect, and animators would yell at me, may be...).

• Reputable Contributor

I'll see if I can put the dragon somewhere in order to be downloaded during next week-end (but it is not perfect, and animators would yell at me, may be...).

I wouldn't make it available publicly. Perhaps just to a Blender artist (with skills and experience with the smoke/fire/fluids simulation tools) who will volunteer to do a tutorial showing him breath fire, in that scene you have. In both cases, these could show off what Blender is capable of and allow those of us, sitting on the fence, to get off of it and get into Blender.

• Advanced Member

Thanks AbnRanger. Didn't make it (the model upload). I spent almost all the week-end outside in Yokohama with my family

and went to a rugby game with friends... The dragon is still on my hard disk. No problem to give it to someone.

I'm planing to make a better dragon, because the previous one is not impressive enough as a dragon.

The more I see it, the more I wan't to change it all. But better start from zero and don't give the new one a dynamic pose

when sculpting it. I have to think more of the use of camera to give a dramatic feel to the scene, as you suggested before.

I'm also planning to reproduce a mecha from "Macross"; I'm building a very complicated figure with full of pieces these days to

understand its structure but it is very time consumming.

Here is a male body base mesh started a few monts ago. I hope I can re-use it for a realistic knight or something.

It is only 5 953 924 polys yet, and it's probably time to refine details by using LC.

human_base_mesh.jpg

• Advanced Member

I suggest bringing the waste in and making the handles and feet a bit smaller. Smoothing out the back of the head might help, as well. I would taper the sides and back of the knees a bit. It's a great base mesh to work from. I can see how you could go either older or younger with it.

• Advanced Member

True! The feet are kind of massive. I didn't noticed that, but now it's obvious.

There's something weird with the shoulders too.

May be the lack of flesh around them. Will fix this during tomorrow lunch time.

Thanks for the feed-back!

By the way, do you now this web-site?:

http://www.3d.sk/

There's full of free good human pics that are great references to work with.

• Advanced Member

Yes. I've used references from that site before. I wouldn't worry too much about fixing a lot of things at this stage, except proportions. From my experience with figure sculpting, it seems that starting with blocked out forms and large-form proportions is paramount, and then working the medium details, and finally the finer details. If you're going to do any clothing, etc. then I would obviously do those last.

• Reputable Contributor

Go for it, The human form does not need to be perfect, It is the conveyance of emotion and life through human form which impacts us the most. Now before someone tells me, I that I do care about anatomy, that is far from the truth, but if the men of old, the cave dwellers waited for perfection, we would not have their lovely cave paintings, connecting us to them and their lives...

Your end pose will affects us the most and we will fill in the details... just like a 2D painting...

An interesting site on human form, mostly Zbrush work but applies to 3DCoat as well.

Scroll down to see more human form.

http://www.scott-eaton.com/category/digital-sculpture

• Advanced Member

Little enhancements on the male base mesh on general volumes.

I had a bad experience with LC today. After a while adding details, I noticed

some black dots here and there. They happened to be little holes

in the envelop... Had to go back to voxels and lost all the little folds

in the skin and other details.

Anyway. I'll have one more try. I wonder what causes this problem.

In voxel mode, when using the "move" tool, I often have issues; like

if I lose the focus (when "alt+tab" to another app, or just lifting the stylus)

and come back into the view-port, the move tool stretch one model area.

At this point, If I ctrl+z to erase the weird spikes built unintentionally by the move tool,

I sometime get thin voxel lines arround the model. Not a big problem because I can

erase the floating lines with "grow" inverted tool.

But I wonder if it has an influence on the conversion when switching from voxel to surface...

The black dots where located near a place where I previously found those thin voxel lines...

male_basemesh_01.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Yep, LC still has a few lingering bugs... I have not posted at Mantis about them yet. Sometime, I will have to run some test and make videos for Andrew to help track them down, but right now not enough mental energy to do so...

Save often when using LC... I just do manual multiple saves myself with my own numbering system, old habit...

Now if you are saving often, try to use "cleanup memory" every once in a while under the voxels menu.

Here's how...

When you get a black hole, Then use Ctrl + Z to undo. Next run "CleanUp Memory"

Try sculpting again to see if the problem was fixed.

You don't have to wait for a problem to appear to use CleanUp Menory.

At one time you wanted to avoid cleanup memory because it caused mesh explosions but it is a lot better now.

It does fix some problems but is not a failsafe routine and if it causes a mesh bo-bo then you have your saved backups

Again, I would not want you to lose any work, so backup often your 3DC file whenever using LC.

By the way, the male figure is coming along nicely... How many polygons or voxels is he at now?