3DCoat Forums
  1. General

1. Announcements

This area contains official announcements from the Pilgway team

3. New Releases, Bugs Reports & Development Discussion

This is a section of the forum specifically for final and beta releases and discussing new developments. Also to report any new bug found.

1. General 3DCoat

Discussions related to 3DCoat, and also share ideas for improving the program.

SDK, scripts & plugins development. If you want to create or share custom scripts & plugin(s) for 3DCoat, you can find the information here to do so.

3. SOS! If you need urgent help for 3DCoat

Any urgent matter that needs to be dealt with as soon as possible

1. CG & Hardware Discussion

CG meeting area. General Discussion, News, films, games discussions, etc.

Have a Brush, Stencils, Smart Materials, Shaders, Extension, etc. you'd like to share ?
      Post it here !

1. 275

• I was looking forward to sculpt tiling textures in 3d coat, ever since I caught a glimpse on the "Tile box 3x3" option in the Surface Sculpt Welcome screen. I was under the impression that it will just work as it says. Unfortunately it is not. You can not paint across instances, which is a huge oversight imo. In addition, the template setup has the tiles overlapping, causing seams between them when you stencil project something. It is really just an instance tiling rather than the true Tiles Painting you get when choosing the Per Pixel Painting Tiling 3x3 template from the Welcome Screen, which is how it is supposed/someone would expect it to work. (I do a lot of hand painting color only tiling textures in Krita, and it caught me by surprise that 3D Coat doesn't allow seamless tiling sculpting, even tho the template says so). A system like in Krita (Wrap Around Mode) or what Blender offers, would be needed for this to be a usable system actually for anything else that isn't a surface that consists of several individual elements like Bricks or Wooden planks. I feel in the age of Nanite, for gaming textures/modular piece creation, this would be a very important thing to have to be able to utilize 3D Coats fantastic Sculpting tools to create tiling geo pieces or displacement maps.  
    • Bump, 10 years later. I was looking forward to sculpt tiling textures in 3d coat, ever since I caught a glimpse on the "Tile box 3x3" option in the Surface Sculpt Welcome screen. I was under the impression that it will just work as it says. Unfortunately it is not. You can not paint across instances, which is a huge oversight imo. In addition, the template setup has the tiles overlapping, causing seams between them when you stencil project something. It is really just an instance tiling rather than the true Tiles Painting you get when choosing the Per Pixel Painting Tiling 3x3 template from the welcome screen, which is how it is supposed/someone would expect it to work. (I do a lot of hand painting color only tiling textures in Krita, and it caught me by surprise what 3D Coat doesn't allow seamless tiling sculpting, even tho the template says so). A system like in Krita (Wrap Around Mode) or what Blender offers, would be needed for this to be a usable system actually for anything else that isn't a surface that consist of several individual elements like Bricks or Wooden planks.  
    • With Sticky Keys, if you activate tool via hotkey and press the assigned key again, it will re-activate the previously used tool. Sticky keys does not work with Stacked Keys  
    • So Is there a way to auto topo a polygroup?  It's great for sculpts but does it work on polygons? If so how?
    • no because anything baked indented bakes perfectly .. its only anything with height ... (alpha Add) i reset all configurations , and reinstalled along with verifying install, nothing is working.. it used to work but i think its since moving back to nvidia it now doesnt work
    • Can someone explain me why if i make UVs in the paint room and then calculate curvature map i get this clean result: but if i make UVs in retopo room, than bake to "per pixel paint without baking" (keep UV)and then calculate curvature map in paint room i get this weird result?
    • Looks as world space normal map Normal Map Technical Details
    • nope .. made the cage inner and outer bigger and even made it smaller... it looks like the outer cage isnt registering properly and staying at 0 even though you change it.
    • Any news on this? In Particular regarding "Move Infinite Depth"?
    • Looks like inner cage is not deep enough. You must adjust outer and inner so that you capture the desired threshold. If this doesn'r work, please send project file and I can take a look.
    • this is how they're being outputted 
    • Desktop 18-04-2024 22-34-57.mp4   guys any help with this??? ive reported it so many times .. but nobody seems to have the same problem
    • I can if you want but it's a bit slow, I basicaly make: export to, then select blender, then, in the option menu I deselect the texture box because I don't have any to export and I just select the apply scale option, that's it, in Blender I import my model as an FBX and when I check the UVS it not the same at all
    • I don't think I am at liberty to say who, yet, but the offer is real. I just spoke with Andrew (and Stas, previously) about it. This is one reason why I am asking here, so others in the community can provide their input about it. I personally think it would double the 3DCoat userbase, if not much more, nearly overnight, because this render is a super-heavyweight in the industry...including the Arch Viz industry also. It would elevate 3DCoat's credentials in this market, although Pilgway would have to spend the time to integrate it, though, rather than the vendor making a plugin for it. 
    • If this is a real thing, I think 3D Coat should jump on it.  One of the things that I'd like to see more is better overall pipeline integration and that would go a long way.  Especially since as you've said, a lot of concept artist use 3D Coat. It would theoretically lead to a larger userbase.  Look at what Eevee did for Blender and Lumen and Nanite for Unreal.  Even Marmoset built a texture and baking tool around their render engine. Having a good built in render tool is a game changer.  It sounds like you're not talking purely hypothetically and you're aware of a potential partnership, are you not at liberty to say with who?