3DCoat Forums

[SOLVED] Don't snap subdivision vertices to surface (merge PPP displacement)

Medler

When I merge to the paintroom through PPP with displacement there is an option called "Don't snap subdivision vertices to surface".

The explanation says that it makes layer 0 very smooth and puts all displacement on higher layers. This option is recommended if you want to export your low res mesh and a displacement map.

It makes me wonder where layer 0 stands for?

Is layer 0 in this case kind of a equivalent of the low poly mesh it self?

If so: is this the reason it is best to have all your displacement on higher layers on order to bake it in the displacement map?

• Reputable Contributor

When I merge to the paintroom through PPP with displacement there is an option called "Don't snap subdivision vertices to surface".

The explanation says that it makes layer 0 very smooth and puts all displacement on higher layers. This option is recommended if you want to export your low res mesh and a displacement map.

It makes me wonder where layer 0 stands for?

Is layer 0 in this case kind of a equivalent of the low poly mesh it self?

If so: is this the reason it is best to have all your displacement on higher layers on order to bake it in the displacement map?

I don't know what all is stored on Layer 0, but it's a good practice to ALWAYS leave it alone and work on new layers. Not sure why Andrew hasn't locked that layer by default, the way Photoshop locks the base layer.

• Reputable Contributor

It also prevents vertices in the subdivided mesh when merging to be snapped to the wrong location on the high detail mesh (voxel or surface mode) causing artifacts in the displacement or normal maps.

Edited by digman

Thanks, this gives me a better understanding. So if you want to output a low res mesh with a displacement map, it's better to use this option.

I also have a better understanding of layer 0 now, Carlosan. In mantis you wrote:

Displacement is exported using the difference of a vertex's position and its position on Layer 0.

Vertice positions will be taken from Layer 0. This is the preferred option for low-poly export.

New user dont know about it, and there is a eternal asking about layer0 and why not to paint it.

To lock Layer0 by default and rename it to Mesh Layer solve all the troubles

So for me layer 0 is kind off a representation of the base mesh as a basis from where the final displacement in the higher layers will be calculated in the paintroom. Choosing the option "don't snap subdivision vertices to surface" will put all the displacement of the high res mesh in the higher layers and from there the optimal displacement map can be baked from layer 0 as a low resh mesh start point.

Edited by Medler