3DCoat Forums

How Does 3DC work?

• Advanced Member

Hi I am looking for some info that was posted a while back on how 3DC voxel sculpting mode works.

I rember reading a while back on that Andrew aproximates/creates/drapes a polygonal surface over the voxel points live while sculpting to represent the final geometry?

Can anyone out there verify this is the way 3DC voxel sculpting mode works - I need a quoatable source for my exegesis - I should mail Andrew directly I supose - but I am pretty sure I remember seeing it mentionioned on the forum somewhere.

Cheers

Jake

I can only supply you with a general definition:

Voxels = Volumetric Pixels. Just as pixels are rectangular areas in a given 2D space, Voxels are cubic areas in a given 3D space.

The 3D workspace provided with 3D-Coat is theoretically infinite - (limited only by system resources).

Volume is "made real" by essentially highlighting invisible voxel cubes within the 3D workspace by means of various tools. Voxels are either "on" or "off" and become highlighted (or "turned on") by selecting them with these tools. The voxel tools add volume to a sculpture in many and varied ways. Perceived "resolution" is accomplished by redefining the number of voxels present in a given workspace volume.

Voxels, by themselves, are rather limited - and, to become useful, need to be translated into polygonal "skins". These skins can be assembled manually within the "Retopo Room", or automatically, using the AUTOPO algorithm and other associated routines.

Once converted to polygonal skins, a voxel sculpture becomes entirely "practical" - allowing users to create UV maps and textures either automatically or manually - for internal rendering in 3D-Coat, or for export to external applications in the form of recognized 3D model formats and recognized texture formats.

That's pretty much the "gist" of it.

Greg Smith

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Cheers Phil

I had allready ripped that info from front page (and referenced it Andrew and 3DCoat), it was the behind the scenes stuff I was after- and the marching cubes reference was just what I was after to add more science to my writing mix.

Cheers

Jake