3DCoat Forums

Voxels

simsimma31

Hi All

Just downloaded 3D-Coat and just getting to grips on how to work with it. I have the following problems and require assistance.

After creating a shirt in retopo I move into voxels but can't see my character, all I can see is the shirt I created why is this?

btw how do I remove background image I accidently added.

Many thanks

It depends on how you imported the character. If you imported the character as polygon geometry in the painting room you will not be able to see it in the voxels room because the voxel room doesn't work with polygons. Have you seen my YouTube tutorial on making a voxel T-Shirt? You can see in that video my character was imported into the voxel room. Do that with the Merge tool.

Removing the background image... Click here:

2010-01-13_1356.png

It depends on how you imported the character. If you imported the character as polygon geometry in the painting room you will not be able to see it in the voxels room because the voxel room doesn't work with polygons. Have you seen my YouTube tutorial on making a voxel T-Shirt? You can see in that video my character was imported into the voxel room. Do that with the Merge tool.

Removing the background image... Click here:

2010-01-13_1356.png

Hi, Thanks for the reply I am currently following your tutorial and I can see your model loaded in the voxels room. but how does one do that?

Since I have my model + shirt in the retopo room do I go into the voxels room and click

1) Merge in the Objects panel

2) Select mesh???...

So-far my character mesh looks weird .. so I know I am doing something wrong. Am I on the right track or am I merging the file wrongly

Regards

Importing a model is described in the manual but basically Merge, Select Mesh, subdivide if you need it smoother, scale it to adjust the size (making the mesh more or less dense). Most of this is also described in the Voxels Video manual, just look for Merge:

http://www.3d-coat.com/voxel_tutorial.html

Importing a model is described in the manual but basically Merge, Select Mesh, subdivide if you need it smoother, scale it to adjust the size (making the mesh more or less dense). Most of this is also described in the Voxels Video manual, just look for Merge:

http://www.3d-coat.com/voxel_tutorial.html

Ok..I think I have it..I now have my character + shirt load via retopo..played around with the cloth simulation great now how to I finalise the cloth for export into say..lightwave looking at your tut @ frame 5:23 you click on build to give the cloth thickness..when i do this my cloth disappears but when i click cloth button it appears again. The only difference I can see is that your cloth layer has a globe symbol next to the name.

Many thanks for you assistance and patience

Sim

Press Enter. BTW that's a cube, not a globe. If yours doesn't have that it should, what does it have? If it's a little curved line click it, you must've switched it to Surface mode instead, in which case I think even pressing Enter wouldn't work.

Ok..I am finally getting somewhere. Things I find a-bit tricky is scaling the character in the voxels room to match the one in the retopo room in order to fit the shirt. Amongst other things how do I export the voxel shirt into lightwave?

Regards

Sim

Ok..I am finally getting somewhere. Things I find a-bit tricky is scaling the character in the voxels room to match the one in the retopo room in order to fit the shirt. Amongst other things how do I export the voxel shirt into lightwave?

Well normally it would be done the other way around, import the character as voxels, then make the shirt on with with retopo. If you just need to change the size of it there's a Transform tool that will give you a gizmo similar to the ones in max or maya. As for exporting the shirt normally you would retopo it and export that or move from there to the Painting room and do your texturing. If you really want to You can just File > Export the retopo mesh and it will give you decimation options, but that wouldn't be very good for animation so I wouldn't recommend it.

Well normally it would be done the other way around, import the character as voxels, then make the shirt on with with retopo. If you just need to change the size of it there's a Transform tool that will give you a gizmo similar to the ones in max or maya. As for exporting the shirt normally you would retopo it and export that or move from there to the Painting room and do your texturing. If you really want to You can just File > Export the retopo mesh and it will give you decimation options, but that wouldn't be very good for animation so I wouldn't recommend it.

Getting much closer to what I was expecting. This is what I did...exported the voxels shirt to retopo..must get used to getting my head around the layering system..but then loaded in my original object (shirt)...subdivide the object...snap...relax..this seems to work..only the creases look abit uneven so I guess I would have to work in the creases and when time permits uv map and finally texture.

Thanks for all your input, it has been most useful.

Sim :D