3DCoat Forums

MODO 901

Looks like the main feature touted for the 901 upgrade is the inclusion of the 3rd party plugin MeshFusion.

Yeah this is one of them, it's a pretty big one too. I have a sneaking suspicion it's not all. :)

• Advanced Member

Currently $500 for upgrade and they release an upgrade each year, although you can skip upgrades.

I had modo versions 401 through 601, they all had serious stability issues.

Edited by bisenberger

Normally new Modo versions have a lot of interesting new features, but this just seems to be a 'plugins now included!' release (not just talking about MeshFusion either). Hopefully they have a lot more to show.

Realtime shadows in the viewport and a built-in script editor is what I'd most like to see (like Max has had for a long time).

Edited by PolyHertz

• Contributor

(...)

With MODO 901, The Foundry will introduce new pricing for new seats ($1,799)

This price will always be a block for me. What eludes me is why won't the Foundry release a full featured modelling module only, without the rendering and dynamics engines, but with a full support for scripting and modelling plugins - at a proportionally reduced price. So basically - release a version of the software that Modo originally was - an almost purely modelling program. If it wouldn't contain some silly limitations, like polycount caps on exported models, etc. I'd buy it outright.

It wouldn't even have to have UV tools (from reasons known to us all). ;)

Edited by ajz3d

Normally new Modo versions have a lot of interesting new features, but this just seems to be a 'plugins now included!' release (not just talking about MeshFusion either). Hopefully they have a lot more to show.

Realtime shadows in the viewport and a built-in script editor is what I'd most like to see (like Max has had for a long time).

I'm 99.9% sure there is more. ;)

• Advanced Member

Oh they do... lots more being added. One of your wishes came true as well... Not sure about the other just yet but wouldnt be surprised if they fixed that too...the viewport has been a big subject for awhile now.

If you are a current license holder, you can have access to their direct connect forum. it features sneak peaks not yet released. As a rule of thumb stuff in there cannot be shared outside of that forum.

That said, I can share this one though because the video has been publicly released.

2015-04-10%2014_07_24-_zpsv2zknlwb.jpg

Also currently Modo 901 is $1200 with the 20MODO promo code via CGrivers. Best time to get it if anyone is on the fence.

http://www.cgriver.com/luxology-modo/8064-modo-801-individual.html

Also FXGuide article on the rendering improvement: http://www.fxguide.com/quicktakes/modo-901-exclusive-tech-sneak-peek/

Indie is still the best deal for low price modo. 901 Indie probably wont happen until SP2 is out on the full version.

Edited by RabenWulf
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

This price will always be a block for me. What eludes me is why won't the Foundry release a full featured modelling module only, without the rendering and dynamics engines, but with a full support for scripting and modelling plugins - at a proportionally reduced price. So basically - release a version of the software that Modo originally was - an almost purely modelling program. If it wouldn't contain some silly limitations, like polycount caps on exported models, etc. I'd buy it outright.

It wouldn't even have to have UV tools (from reasons known to us all). ;)

What's the reduced price you have in mind? The Indie version is already cheap with some limitation.

If it were to strip down most of its non modelling features then that would be like modeller in lightwave. At 995usd with all the bells and whistles and no limitation. :D

Meshfusion is interesting. But the other modelling tools they showed already exists in other appz in some form. Hope they show more.

Edited by geo_n

• 1 month later...