3DCoat Forums

Makehuman - free and open source software to create realistic 3d humans

• Advanced Member

Make human is a great example of open source software. I used the base female model for the Loth WIP. I brought the base mesh into Carrara then added geometry to create the mandible/tentacle like parts to her head and chain mail shirt. Of course I had to create a new uv map. I will say I did have some normals problems the first time I brought a make human model into 3d-coat. I used Hex to correct the normals then everything was fine.

I think that Make Human is great and look forward to its continued development. I do have a beef with it though. The mesh has too many triangles. Zbrush and lightwave(for sub-d) don't like that too much. In Lightwave, the mesh gets pinches if it is sub-Ded and when imports from obj, there are a lot of flipped normals. I am hoping the collada support in LW 9.5 will allow for easier use.

I think that Make Human is great and look forward to its continued development. I do have a beef with it though. The mesh has too many triangles. Zbrush and lightwave(for sub-d) don't like that too much. In Lightwave, the mesh gets pinches if it is sub-Ded and when imports from obj, there are a lot of flipped normals. I am hoping the collada support in LW 9.5 will allow for easier use.

I haven't tried playing with the Collada in 9.5 yet, I too hope that it will help things like this. I the mean time there's the free plugin, Merge Trigons X.

I haven't tried playing with the Collada in 9.5 yet, I too hope that it will help things like this. I the mean time there's the free plugin, Merge Trigons X.

I use Merge Trigons. Two problems there are that the triangles in the make human mesh are singular and scattered so Mtrigons doesn't handle most and it doesn't handle the messed up normals. Granted, the messed up normals are probably the result of the obj importer on LW.

Anyhow, don't get me wrong, MH is still a great program. I just wish it was a bit easier to import to LW. As the reason to use such a program is so you don't have to individually model tons of humans. This effect is somewhat lessened by the clean up process nessecary.

You know if you own LW 9.x you can sign up for the 9.5 open beta right?

I'm on it. I'm trying to discuss the current scene regarding MH as the beta is beta and under NDA. That said, I am hopeful that the current scene will not be the same when that's done.

One thing that I know is that the export of Callada from MH has a number of xml errors that causes it to not even be usable by the Whoopla converter. It loads in Maya 8 but not Maya 8.5. So those issues need resolving, irrespective of the LW 9.5 beta.

Again, I really don't want to come across as overly negative on this, as I do like MH and recognize that it itself is not a finished product. I mostly think that they should rework the base mesh to use only quads and make sure the obj and collada exports are fully standards compliant (talking mostly about the collada export on this). It would then be a completely awesome tool that works with all packages out-of-box, not just blender.

• Advanced Member
I mostly think that they should rework the base mesh to use only quads and make sure the obj and collada exports are fully standards compliant (talking mostly about the collada export on this). It would then be a completely awesome tool that works with all packages out-of-box, not just blender.

Its imposible i think. The problem with tris in those meshes comes in sculpting\disp. painting sw, but its not main target of MH, to make mesh perfect for zbrush or 3DC. MH mesh its nearly perfect in topology and also good to animate, by placing edgeloops strategicaly it allows to morph those loops in such way that same mesh with same topo can be large male-herro with big muscles or small thin female and so on, while both meshes still anatomicaly correct. If they will concentrate on 100% pure quads they will lose some posibilities of such great morphing, afaik.

• Contributor

Brian spouts off!

Make Human

There are free versions of Poser around and, also , DAZ Studio--also free. Not particularly a DAZ Studio fan but anyone who does not have that with all it's freebies accesable---????(A better choice than free Poser?)

LightWave

It's a pita! Even the current beta is way behind just the likes of Carrara6Pro!

Looking at XSI I find it no wonder it is rated well above LW and Maya etc. But what a hard learning curve compared to say Carrara for those not "full time"into 3D graphics.

The more I learn about 3D the more I am amazed at why so few can not be so completely user friendly as 3D Coat and MoI.

• Advanced Member

Silo, 3DCoat, UVLayout and MOI are great examples of what can be done by small companys and how they can make a difference to users.

One thing i dont like about MOI is its lack of hotkeys. I like the ui and its very easy and thats good, but hotkeys could be a transparent way of speeding things up for experienced users so long as they didnt take over from the buttons that is.. not that expect that they ever would in MOI

Just out of interest what professional work has been made in Carrera? I've never heard of it used in a work situation. (not a stab a question)

• Advanced Member
Careful, I understand there's a good number of us LW users in this forum. :P

Quite true. I'm not married to any software, but comments like "app X sux!" IMVHO, don't do this forum any good.

• Advanced Member

indeed, LW has quite a pedigree. Most people have seen a film or TV series made using lightwave in the pipeline.

I suppose i cant talk tho, im allways kicking 3dsmax. That said i just loaded a 2.5 mill obj into max and AO rendered it, while working in another scene doing animation(smoothly). The monoliths have their advantages :)

XSI is my current Darling. being able to do LOD's while keeping mapping, rigging and animation. GATOR and MOTOR are something quite special :)

• 4 weeks later...

There is no such thing as a finished application - unless it is dead in the water.

I use C6Pro - great for internal renders; I also use Vue 6i fantastic for external work are either of them bug free? Nope. Application choice is subjective and I have just downloaded and gone through all the 3D demo's I could for my new project - MAX2009, XSI, Modo302, C4D...

Guess wat I just bought? Lightwave and LWCAD - based on what I want to do rather than some sparkly marketing or advanced capability I will never use but I may hope will make me look cool.

The very thought - me look cool LOL!

• Advanced Member

Saying 'application x sucks' and 'software y is the only way to go' doesn't bring anyone anywhere. What I learned is, that there's _people_ on all those different packages that are able to do great work with it. And that each app has it's strenghts in different areas. Lightwave obviously lacks bigtime on character animation. Nonetheless I use it for paid work where I also have to animte some people. I use plugins for compensate that (I even bought xsi essentials, but I had no time to learn it, so I guess that investment was a bit stupid considering my available time - although xsi is great and it's animation capabilities seem par to none).

You can say good and bad about every app (I hate mental ray).

But it's the people that do the nice stuff.

mike

• Advanced Member
I use Merge Trigons. Two problems there are that the triangles in the make human mesh are singular and scattered so Mtrigons doesn't handle most and it doesn't handle the messed up normals. Granted, the messed up normals are probably the result of the obj importer on LW.

Anyhow, don't get me wrong, MH is still a great program. I just wish it was a bit easier to import to LW. As the reason to use such a program is so you don't have to individually model tons of humans. This effect is somewhat lessened by the clean up process nessecary.

Hmm.. and I thought the flip normals were only in 3dsmax. I exported obj from mh painted in 3dc and import in 3dsmax. it was hell flipping all those polys.

• Advanced Member

I'm off the 'best tool for the job' school of thought. I've seen some really great work produced with procedural modeling, and humans are just the tip of the 'berg. At last year's Siggraph there was a lecture on generating cities using procedural geometry (I hope Andrew reads this... :brush: ) for game environments.

$.02 on the OT chat: The same goes for all the different animation and modeling packages. I love Maya for animation, but LW's my modeling app and it's making huge leaps in many directions and XSI.... well the buzz speaks for itself. No one's mentioned Houdini yet, but the Venom goo animated with it looked fantastic right alongside all the Maya driven animation. LW is probably the most uknowingly seen app in this game, so just like the big ticket apps I really wouldn't bash it unless you're super 100% positive that you haven't been "WOW!"ed by something done with it. Besides, a lot of the really big animation studios use a pipeline that's hugely driven by software developed in-house to get the desired results.

-Oliver

• Advanced Member
Hmm.. and I thought the flip normals were only in 3dsmax. I exported obj from mh painted in 3dc and import in 3dsmax. it was hell flipping all those polys.

If you are using pre 2009 max version, take a look at gw obj I\O, its a free obj input\output tool for Max (and XSI), the best one. In new max (2009) its already integrated. With it you'll never see fliped normals or any obj trobles, with right preset MH meshes would be imported correctly to max.

• 4 years later...
  • Advanced Member

Looks great - it's really come on over the years.

However........

• The MacOSX build is limited to OS version 10.8. It may or may not work on 10.7, but earlier versions than that are not likely to work.
  • IMPORTANT: Since targets have moved around and been regrouped, this release is not compatible with all models made by earlier versions of the program.

• 1 year later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Thanks Carlosan... It's been awhile for me to use Makehuman.

If you want to import a rigged character into Blender be sure to enable the "mhx" format under Blender's User Preferences / Addons / import-export.

Edited by digman

• 2 months later...

Download MakeHuman 1.0.2

The MakeHuman 1.0.2 release is proudly brought to you by a team of dedicated artists, developers, writers, researchers through the support of an ever-expanding global community.

This is an Open Source project and it is hoped that artists and developers will be inspired to join in and help accelerate the development of this innovative application.

http://www.makehuman.org/content/download_makehuman_102.html

• 9 months later...

New rigging library!

Submitted by Manuel Bastioni on 

Today we completed one of the most important features that will be included in MakeHuman 1.1: The new library of rigging, that provides skeletons for easy retargeting with the main 3d engines and animation tools: Unity, Motion Builder, Unreal Engine, etc.

As usual, it is available (starting from tomorrow) as UNSTABLE nightly build.

rigging_library.png

• 1 month later...