3DCoat Forums

How to export a displacement map?

Fonte Boa

Hi! Newbie here.

Before anything i would like to know if the general workflow i have in mind is corret:

(a) import a low resolution model

(B) subdivide it and begin to sculpt

© at the end, i have to export a displacement map (with the sculpt work)

(d) in another software (in my case, 3dsmax) i import the (a) model and apply a material to it: in this material i have to put my displacement map.

(e) after render the model, all my 3d-coat sculpt transformations will appear.

In a general way, this is the workflow?

Anyway, i would like to know if there is some instructions about how to export the displacement map? Or if someone could give me an idea about how to perform this.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, welcome aboard!

Your steps are correct. There are two specific ways you can get your maps out when done texturing/sculpting:

1) Go to File>Export. In the export prompt will be an option for displacement maps (with further options for displacement maps). Choose your options and hit export, save to disk.

2) Again when finished, go to Textures>Export>(Choose your Displacement map option), you'll be prompted to save to disk.

That's it really. Hope that helps.

Thanks, Javis: i'll try it. I am beginning with 3dcoat and i am just a little afraid about artifacts in 3dsmax rendered image, after apply a material with a displacement map exported from 3dcoat. Before anything, i'll make this kind of tests and post the results and (if there are) problems here. Thanks for you attention. :)