3DCoat Forums

Best workflow for displacement

sculptactive

• Advanced Member

Hi, usually I use "Paint with ptex" to create a displacement map of my model, however I have a model that already has a UV map and I was looking at the "Paint over with deep displacement" option.

1st question. Will the ""Paint over with deep displacement" Microvertex workflow give me a better/more detailed displacement map that the Ptex workflow or is there minimal difference?

2nd question. Am I best of keeping my own UV map or should I create a new one in 3DC?

3rd question. If I create a new map in 3DC is there a way to keep the orientation of the individual parts the same as my original map?

start_zpsb42623b3.jpg

Hi!

1. Per Pixel will give you better results for displacement and normal map generation. MV is kept as legacy so far. PTEX uses the Per Pixel method to generate displacement and normal maps.
  2. This really depends on your individual needs. If your unwrap is how you want it already, then there is no need to do anything further to it. My personal workflow has been to unwrap in Modo, but relax in 3DC with the new GU algorithm.
  3. The "PackUV2" function will pack all of the islands selected without rotating or flipping them.

Another workflow I use, is to sometimes paint a really high res version with PTEX, and then bake my details from that to another more PS-readable UV map. Either way though, stick to using PPP and PTEX for displacement and normal maps, if possible.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Thanks Javis,

I will stick with Ptex then. My workflow is the same as you, I model in Modo and import into 3DC.

In 3DC I have two objectives.

1.  To create Dmaps/Nmaps for export/Animations/prints in LW ( I still have not had the time to look at Modo's animation features so for the present I stick with LW)

2. To export a hi poly model for 3D printing.

If I use Ptex can I still keep/use my original UVmap as well as the Ptex UVmap? I ask because I am looking at incorporating Mari into my workflow and at present Ptex is not supported.

Edited by sculptactive

• Advanced Member

OK, spent yesterday going around in circles trying to figure out how to keep my original UVmap using Ptex but am having no luck, so I guess I have got the" wrong end of the stick".

I import a model for Ptex made in Modo with UVmap. Once I have created the  Ptex Dmap I export the model, but when I open it up in Modo I only have the new Ptex UVmap made not my original UVmap. Is there a way to keep both? 

Edited by sculptactive

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the link, but I am not sure it does.

The problem for me is that I have used 3DC since it came out, but only to create displacement/normal maps and in recent years I have only used the Ptex feature.

The rest of the programs is a bit alien to me. I have never needed, since the implementation of the Ptex feature to keep my original UVmaps from the imported models.

Maybe I have done this the wrong way round. Maybe I should I have imported my model for, Ptex. Created may maps. Exported. Then back in Modo created another UVmap.

I would then end up with two maps.

If I use Ptex can I still keep/use my original UVmap as well as the Ptex UVmap? I ask because I am looking at incorporating Mari into my workflow and at present Ptex is not supported.

Hey!

You could keep the PTEX UV map with the same mesh as your regular UV map if you want, I usually don't and instead just bake the high res PTEX to a regular UV map, essentially having two meshes, one in 3DC for PTEX and my target/final asset mesh. The only reason I do this is because I find it a little quicker than trying to copy/paste a UV map from one mesh to another (it can be tricky sometimes).

OK, spent yesterday going around in circles trying to figure out how to keep my original UVmap using Ptex but am having no luck, so I guess I have got the" wrong end of the stick".

I import a model for Ptex made in Modo with UVmap. Once I have created the  Ptex Dmap I export the model, but when I open it up in Modo I only have the new Ptex UVmap made not my original UVmap. Is there a way to keep both? 

The best way I've found is to import your mesh with original UV map (you wont be keeping your original map for this, it's just for mesh consistency) for PTEX painting. Paint your mesh with PTEX and detail all you need. Once completed go to Textures>Texture Baking Tool. Under "Mesh to received projected textures" select your original mesh with UV map, choose the maps you want to bake and their directories then hit Ok. It'll bake all your PTEX painted textures to your other mesh with the UV map you want to use, and place them in the directory you specified prior.

Hope that helps. :)

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

The best way I've found is to import your mesh with original UV map (you wont be keeping your original map for this, it's just for mesh consistency) for PTEX painting. Paint your mesh with PTEX and detail all you need. Once completed go to Textures>Texture Baking Tool. Under "Mesh to received projected textures" select your original mesh with UV map, choose the maps you want to bake and their directories then hit Ok. It'll bake all your PTEX painted textures to your other mesh with the UV map you want to use, and place them in the directory you specified prior.

Thanks for the workflow. Very helpful. I will give it a go.

• Advanced Member

Textures>Texture Baking Tool. Under "Mesh to received projected textures" select your original mesh with UV map, choose the maps you want to bake and their directories then hit Ok. 

Tested model using the "Texture Baking Tool" and it work great.

Also my previous post stated Mari does not support Ptex, however I believe the latest version now supports it.

Many thanks

Edited by sculptactive