3DCoat Forums

import external mesh for re-topology

wangj011

Hi there im pretty new with 3D coat. Right now, im working on one of my character project, and i want to retopologize it inside 3D Coat. So, i exported my mid-level mesh from zbrush and imported it as a reference mesh in 3D coat, then i started the re topology process. But now, i decided to check N-gons and triangles and to retopologize some tight areas in MAYA. SO, i chose to export the mesh i left off in 3D coat , and finished the work inside Maya. But the problem is that i dont know how to re-import this mesh from MAYA and to be able to continue working it in 3d coat as every retopology function still working(snapping, brush tool, match with original reference mesh etc). I tried to hit import button and chose the obj i exported from Maya, then there is a mesh coming in, when i hit enter, it asks me whether i want this mesh to be snapped to voxel or reference mesh, i chose either one, it just automatically created a new retop group, and this group seems doesnt link to the mesh i imported. I can't hide mesh by clicking the eye icon or i cant use brush to move polygons or using add commands etc. The only thing i can do is i can slide edges...Please can some one help me with this issue, and tell me whats the correct way to import an external mesh with a previous reference mesh already being imported, so that i am able to continue working with it without losing any retopology tool functions. Thanks!

• Advanced Member

1. Import the reference mesh. Under file menu.

2. Go to retopo room, import under retopo menu.

3. 3DC asks you to snap the mesh, click NO!. Enter.

You may experience some trouble with non symmetrical meshes. Its a bug, Don't worry.

4. Solution: import for ppp and go to retopo room and import as above. Now it works.

Have fun.

Thanks for your help michalis!

I tried to import a reference mesh first then import an external mesh later, it created a new retop group for me, but i couldnt do any retop commands to continue working on the mesh.. i couldnt add polys, fill holes or move vertices, it only allowed me to delete polys, slide edges.

But when i first import ppp mesh and import my external mesh after, it fixed my problem and it allowed me to do all the retopo commands. But the new issue came to me. For ppp mesh import, i cant import either mid-level mesh or high poly mesh since it always tells that my machine is out of memory which causes a fatal error. so strange here!

• Advanced Member

Try MV mode.

I tried to import a reference mesh first then import an external mesh later, it created a new retop group for me, but i couldnt do any retop commands to continue working on the mesh.. i couldnt add polys, fill holes or move vertices, it only allowed me to delete polys, slide edges.

It smells like bug, What version?

its 3.3 on mac.... i have tested it several times. if i just import the mesh i exported from 3D coat without changing anything, i can use any tools to work on it. But if i export the mesh and then use MAYA to add more polygons , when i import back the mesh,i can't use brush tool, add tool and quads tool, and also i can't hide it on layer...i dunt know if this is a bug or it just happens to me or i did something wrong.Thanks!

Hi Wang and michalis!

Wang, let me second michalis' suggestion that you upgrade to 3.5. As a Maya user too, one of the things that I had trouble with is the fact that I couldn't tell where the n-gons were in my model when I was retopologizing. Well, 3.5 allows you to select n-gons! Now, quite frankly, I can't think of a reason to go from 3D Coat to Maya until I am ready to rig, animate and render. I use a Mac too, and I recommend upgrading because 3.5 just works better, IMO. Good luck!

Excelsior!

Eric Kunzendorf

Jacksonville University

users.ju.edu/ekunzen